Would you play an ERE computer game? (GREENLIT)

Meetups, joint projects, classifieds, dating, exchanges, buying, selling, etc.
TheWanderingScholar

Re: Would you play an ERE computer game?

Post by TheWanderingScholar »

Ian wrote:
YoungAndWise wrote:I'd be willing to play this game. It is was cheap or free.
Because I am a gamer at heart.
If you don't mind, what is "cheap" to you? I'm out of touch with gaming prices.

I haven't made any decisions about how this will be distributed, just trying to weigh my options and gather information.
$10.00 in most cases.

Ian

Post by Ian »

Okay, cool. I was thinking more like $5 and wondering if that was too high.

Thanks for the encouragement, DutchGirl.
robby152 wrote:Is your music going to be retro 8-bit music? I love that stuff, but feel free to do whatever you want. Can't wait to try it!
What I'm working with so far is a step or two above 8-bit - SNES era maybe? No idea whether or not it will work for you.
Last edited by Ian on Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

takapunch

Post by takapunch »

This looks completely awesome! On what platforms will it be playable? And I don't think it's too much of a stretch to imagine it for sale in the app store; a couple of my game dev friends have put their own small projects on the app store and it didn't seem to be too hard.

TheWanderingScholar

Post by TheWanderingScholar »

@takapunch
And usually if it is on an App, it can easily get on steam,gamersgate, GOG, and other digital online distributors.

Ian

Post by Ian »

At this stage I can't say for sure what platforms it could be available on. The end result will be a simple exe that runs out of its own folder, so it should be flexible when it comes to PCs.

I know this engine has been used to make apps, but don't know anything about that personally (though I hope to learn once the bulk of the creative work is done). I also know precedents for the platforms YoungAndWise mentioned, but I think the real barrier there is meeting a minimum bar of popularity to be allowed on.

takapunch

Post by takapunch »

So it'll be Windows (no mac, linux, etc. support). I know that to run on iOS you need it to be in objective C, and I'm not sure about Android. If you're interested, I could see if one of my game dev friends can port it for you.

To generate popularity, your best bet is sending a simple media package (I can help you write it!) to various finance, gaming, and productivity-related websites (here if Jacob will let you, Mr. Money Mustache, Lifehacker, Rock Paper Shotgun, and so on) and see if any of them bite. You have to invest in any community for it to give you the benefit of publicity, but yours is an interesting and novel idea.

Beyond that, finish the game, host it, link it wherever you can and see what numbers you get! I'm sure you'll be surprised with how much positive feedback you'll receive, and even if you don't, you still accomplished what you set out to do: make an RPG about ERE principles for the world to enjoy.

DutchGirl

Post by DutchGirl »

I always go bankrupt when I play simcity, because I want to provide my citizens with too many services. I'm curious how I'll do in this game... :-)

Ian

Post by Ian »

We'll see! In my playing I've actually found it a little too easy to cut costs - I'm experimenting with some expenses that have a more direct impact on gameplay.
takapunch wrote:So it'll be Windows (no mac, linux, etc. support). I know that to run on iOS you need it to be in objective C, and I'm not sure about Android. If you're interested, I could see if one of my game dev friends can port it for you.

To generate popularity, your best bet is sending a simple media package (I can help you write it!) to various finance, gaming, and productivity-related websites (here if Jacob will let you, Mr. Money Mustache, Lifehacker, Rock Paper Shotgun, and so on) and see if any of them bite. You have to invest in any community for it to give you the benefit of publicity, but yours is an interesting and novel idea.

Beyond that, finish the game, host it, link it wherever you can and see what numbers you get! I'm sure you'll be surprised with how much positive feedback you'll receive, and even if you don't, you still accomplished what you set out to do: make an RPG about ERE principles for the world to enjoy.
Games from this engine have been ported to a variety of places, so there must be some established methods of doing so. When we get to that stage, I would welcome any help you or others have to give.

And yeah, regardless of the results, I'm having a good time doing this. I enjoy changing up my routine with a completely different kind of creative project occasionally.

Spartan_Warrior

Post by Spartan_Warrior »

If it seems too easy, what's the possibility of setting up different difficulty levels? Easy, medium, soul-crushingly hard (aka "realism mode")? :D

Just tossing that out there, although from what I recall of RPG Maker, I wouldn't know how to do it myself. Maybe with three different executables or something.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

Many you could rank the difficulty level like this? 8-)

(from easy to hard)
software engineer
mechanical engineer
not an engineer
art history major

Okay, maybe not :-D

JohnnyH

Post by JohnnyH »

jacob wrote:Many you could rank the difficulty level like this? 8-)

(from easy to hard)
software engineer
mechanical engineer
not an engineer
art history major

:lol: :lol: This gave me the biggest belly laugh in about 2 weeks.

Ian

Post by Ian »

Spartan_Warrior wrote:If it seems too easy, what's the possibility of setting up different difficulty levels? Easy, medium, soul-crushingly hard (aka "realism mode")? :D

Just tossing that out there, although from what I recall of RPG Maker, I wouldn't know how to do it myself. Maybe with three different executables or something.
I think the easiest way would probably be to create three different versions of the characters that gain levels at a different rate: the enemies would be the same difficulty, but on the easier modes you'd gain strength faster. It would probably be tricky to balance, though.

Fortunately, I meant that it's too emotionally easy. There's a boss to drop your restaurant expenses, for example, and that requires some strategy, but the player doesn't feel any loss the way they (presumably) would actually cutting their restaurant budget.

(from easy to hard)
software engineer
mechanical engineer
not an engineer
art history major

Hah!

Right now things are at "not an engineer" level, but it's easier than that because you get to replace the main character's decision making and choices with your own.

Spartan_Warrior

Post by Spartan_Warrior »

(from easy to hard)
software engineer
mechanical engineer
not an engineer
art history major
philosophy major/government worker

Fixed. :P

Re: emotional difficulty; this may be beyond the scope, but it sounds like you need to introduce more temptation for the player to commit virtual lifestyle inflation. Maybe a dating mini-game where the dates demand a certain/varying level of spending. Or frequent interruptions by advertising for in-game items that actually benefit or amuse the player somehow. Make it feel like some kind of trade-off rather than having the "good" financial moves be the only obvious "good" in-game moves. Like Dutchgirl said, she goes bankrupt in SimCity because she wants to provide services for the people... that kind of countervailing motivation.

takapunch

Post by takapunch »

I dunno, Spartan.... I like the idea of a game in which the obvious winning strategy is financial independence, because it might cause the players to wonder why they aren't making those choices in their real lives. The difficulty could come from choosing the best synergistic strategies, or tempting players with short-term rewards (going into debt to invest immediately) that could hurt if not properly managed.

Ian

Post by Ian »

This is a design decision that could legitimately go either way. I have a number of things designed to tempt like Spartan_Warrior said, but overall the game tends toward takapunch's position: there's an implicit bias toward the best financial decisions being the best strategy in game.

An example that isn't really either way: everyone in the game says you need to buy a Wedding Ring to get married and they talk as if there's a dating system requiring it, but it's not necessary (except for one of the marriage options). It's just an item you can buy that doesn't do anything. I can't imagine anyone's opinion will be changed by a video game, but if anyone goes, "Wait, you mean you don't need an expensive wedding ring to... oh" I'll be happy.

Progress continues (I'll report tomorrow or Saturday). I plan to let a few people play an alpha version of the game, but I think most people who have posted in this thread would be more interested in the beta.

Ian

Post by Ian »

Status update as promised:
Scripts: 97%
Equipment: 98%
Characters: 100%
Maps: 92%
Enemies: 82%
Music: 90%
Fully Tested: 81%

Probably a week or two more of development, then I'll need to start looking to more practical concerns of distribution and the like.

JeffD

Post by JeffD »

Is there a way we could test play this? :) Looks like a good game!

Ian

Post by Ian »

Thanks! I'll definitely be looking for testers from this site, though I haven't decided quite on the method. For pre-alpha I just emailed people the file, but I'll need to get more formal for later versions.

Ian

Post by Ian »

Current progress on the game:
Scripts: 98%
Equipment: 98%
Characters: 100%
Maps: 94%
Enemies: 91%
Music: 90%
Fully Tested: 87%

Satisfying week, as I finished a number of major elements: the marriage and mortgage systems, the final dungeon and boss, and the ending scenes. What remains are the post-game areas. I've tried to balance the main game to give a decent challenge for casual players, but there's optional stuff for people who want more difficulty. Winning the game represents becoming financially stable, whereas the post-game content is more FI. That means it's time for...

RELEASE DECISIONS

There is balancing and bug-fixing to do, but the majority of the creative work will be done soon. That means it’s time to think about releasing this. I have some clear ideas, but I’m open to suggestions, comments, or criticism.

My thought was to do a Kickstarter to finish off the game, covering costs for art and other finishing touches I can't do myself. The costs aren't high, but a successful Kickstarter campaign is a good way to attract interest to a project (or gauge the lack of it, if that’s the case).

I was thinking the game itself might be $5, but the higher reward levels would include opportunities to beta test or be included in the game. However, I don’t want to go back on anything I’ve said here: if you’ve already posted in the thread, you can receive a copy of the fully-playable beta free of charge.

Here are the issues I'll be considering next. I'll figure them out on my own given time, but if anyone wants to volunteer their expertise, I'd be grateful.
1) Running a successful Kickstarter
2) Cheap hosting options
3) Good methods of selling things online (the only one I know is Plimus)

Now back to work.*

*By "work" I mean "play."

DutchGirl

Post by DutchGirl »

Have fun :-) . I have absolutely no expertise in any of these areas, so all I can say is: good luck!