Would you play an ERE computer game? (GREENLIT)

Meetups, joint projects, classifieds, dating, exchanges, buying, selling, etc.
Ian

Re: Would you play an ERE computer game?

Post by Ian »

Toska wrote:Do you have a mailing address, home, p.o. box or work I can send a check? If so inbox for $100. More details later.
Hmm, I'm not sure if Kickstarter accepts checks. If you're wanting to go outside Kickstarter because that works best for you, I do have a business address. I'll send a PM.
jacob wrote:Once you have it up on kickstarter, make a graphical image that 125px wide (no wider!!) and say <250px tall and I'll put it on the top left corner of the blog for a few months. Hopefully that'll give you some exposure. If you want it...

Free of charge, obviously.
That would be very kind of you. I'll send you an image once the campaign gets closer.

JamesR

Post by JamesR »

Indiegogo might be better, a big difference is you get paid with indiegogo even if you don't reach your "goal".

Spartan_Warrior

Post by Spartan_Warrior »

@Ian: I am ready to test the alpha/beta whenever you're ready to send it, but will also pledge $25 so I can put my own character/quest/item in there. I want to play the game first so I can come up with something good. I'll also put an ad and/or game review on my blog if you want.

I also second @JamesR's suggestion, or at least caution you to be ready to make up any shortfalls in your Kickstarter campaign yourself (or through a proxy) so you don't lose any contributions if you miss the goal.

@Takapunch: Based on your comment about voice acting combined with your avatar, I now assume you sound like Captain Falcon. And I totally want to hear Captain Falcon narrate the preview for this game. Make it happen, folks!

takapunch

Post by takapunch »

Spartan_Warrior wrote:@Takapunch: Based on your comment about voice acting combined with your avatar, I now assume you sound like Captain Falcon. And I totally want to hear Captain Falcon narrate the preview for this game. Make it happen, folks!
SHOW ME YA MOVES! YES!

Ian

Post by Ian »

re: Indiegogo: I did seriously consider them. They also accept PayPal, which matters to some people. However, I think my goal will be reasonably low and Kickstarter seems to attract the most attention when it comes to games, so it's probably the stronger option. I'm open to having my mind changed, but that's my thinking.
Spartan_Warrior wrote:@Ian: I am ready to test the alpha/beta whenever you're ready to send it, but will also pledge $25 so I can put my own character/quest/item in there. I want to play the game first so I can come up with something good. I'll also put an ad and/or game review on my blog if you want.
Thanks for both!
takapunch wrote:
Spartan_Warrior wrote:@Takapunch: Based on your comment about voice acting combined with your avatar, I now assume you sound like Captain Falcon. And I totally want to hear Captain Falcon narrate the preview for this game. Make it happen, folks!
SHOW ME YA MOVES! YES!
I'll just play this as the audio track for the preview.

DutchGirl

Post by DutchGirl »

I'm in for $25!

Cool that you are this far along now, Ian. I'm looking forward to testing this, although since I'm not a computer guy it'll be along the lines of "screen froze" or "I don't like the color of that guy's sweater".

Ian

Post by Ian »

Thanks - those kinds of reactions are helpful too.

Setting up Kickstarter is a tedious process, but I'm wading through. I also have a rough draft of my video, but I'd like to improve a few things before I show it here. Still planning on mid-month to launch the campaign.

Ian

Post by Ian »

Alright, everyone, it's alpha testing time. I need a handful of volunteers.

It would be more accurate to call this the first round of the beta, because almost everything in the game is in place. What I can't guarantee is that I didn't introduce any game-breaking bugs while I was adding and fixing other things. The balance may also be a little rough, because I was constantly tweaking as I played and I haven't run another full game to see how well those tweaks add together.

No expertise is needed at this stage, though familiarity with the genre would probably improve your experience. All you need is some free time you want to spend here (there's no real deadline) and a willingness to jot down your experiences as you play. Once I have a few volunteers, I'll PM everyone the link.

DivisionByZero

Post by DivisionByZero »

I'd be happy to volunteer - sounds like fun!

theanimal

Post by theanimal »

I'll volunteer

TopHatFox

Post by TopHatFox »

Volunteer for hire!

takapunch

Post by takapunch »

SHOW ME YA GAMES!

DutchGirl

Post by DutchGirl »

I'd like to try it, too.

Ian

Post by Ian »

Okay, between here and other forums, I have plenty of people. As I said, other people in this thread can still participate if they really want to play the alpha instead of a later version, but it may be tricky to juggle everyone's feedback.

EDIT: Sorry, forgot the standard controls aren't well-known everywhere:
Z - select/interact
X - menu/cancel
Shift - run

EDIT JR: Well, it didn't take long to find a serious bug. Don't use the Shrine of Patience for now, or your expenses will be permanently screwed up - I missed a single conditional statement that causes the mortgage variables to do weird things. This shouldn't affect the beginning of the game, since the Shrine isn't unlocked until a ways in. I've fixed the problem and it will be uploaded in a future version.

Still, just to be sure, watch your expenses like a hawk. You should be running a deficit of $600 at the beginning and it should change to a surplus of $250 after the second month, then only change in response to individual actions.
Last edited by Ian on Mon May 05, 2014 5:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

DutchGirl

Post by DutchGirl »

And Ian, I assume it should be played using the Windows operating system?

Ian

Post by Ian »

Yes, it's Windows-only for now. Sorry if that's a problem.

If you've already downloaded the game, wait and download the new version (same link) in 15 minutes or so. The bug I mentioned in the previous post might still exist in your version.

Rickardo

Post by Rickardo »

did you ever play a game called 'Jones in the Fast Lane'? I remember playing it about 15 years ago, concept was just a general life game where you spent a certain amount of time (turns) doing things such as getting an education, job, invested etc. I'm not sure how popular it was but I was strangely addicted to it.

Ian

Post by Ian »

Okay, a fair number of you have downloaded. Keep doing your thing if it all seems to be working fine, but if you see any bugs that cause permanent problems, send me a PM and I'll release a patched version.
Rickardo wrote:did you ever play a game called 'Jones in the Fast Lane'? I remember playing it about 15 years ago, concept was just a general life game where you spent a certain amount of time (turns) doing things such as getting an education, job, invested etc. I'm not sure how popular it was but I was strangely addicted to it.
I didn't play it originally, but in an earlier thread someone mentioned it and I played around with the flash version for a while. I can see the appeal, and based on the reaction at that time, there was definitely a niche of people who enjoyed it.

Ian

Post by Ian »

Alpha testers, I'm going to try to catch you all here. Please download the game again, or you'll run into a game-freezing bug at the Fortress of Discontent. This version will also fix the Shrine of Patience, a sidequest, and some cosmetic things.

All your save files are still valid! Look for the files named "SaveXX" in your folder, make sure they get into the new folder, and you should be able to pick up where you left off. You do need to see the formerly bugged scene at the Fortress in order to unlock everything in the game.

I didn't expect you guys to get this far so quickly. I should have known people on this forum would wipe out the high interest loan immediately...

Spartan_Warrior

Post by Spartan_Warrior »

Wait a minute--I don't see my PM! I was the first to volunteer outright, and with RPG Maker experience to boot. Why have you forsaken me!?

...Actually, it's cool. I can wait for a less buggy version (GF and I just discovered Red Dead Redemption: Undead Nightmare anyway). Good luck with the alpha testing!