Idea for an alternative meetup style

Meetups, joint projects, classifieds, dating, exchanges, buying, selling, etc.
jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

I assume we all have ERE skills we are somewhat good at. For example, I can fix bikes. One idea for meetups is to have a theme, say, bike repair; where we all fix bikes with one "expert" on site.
Many such skills are easy but there's always some initial "I don't know how to get started" to overcome.
Welding, beer brewing, baked beans, canning, etc.
While we do this, we can still talk about what we usually talk about. I have noticed that there's generally more talking going on when the 'party' breaks down into smaller groups.

NYC ERE

Post by NYC ERE »

I like this idea. Early in our first NYC meet-up we talked about how most of us prefer small groups. Another common theme is that we all seem to be pretty high-skilled in our day job work--I for one wouldn't mind learning some basic coding, for example, which seems to be the most common skill in this group.
It would be fun for me to teach people bike maintenance/repair, as well as online marketing.

B

Post by B »

I only have the most basic of bike repair and gardening skills. I would definitely be interested in this.
@Zev

Coding is my dayjob, and before it was to teach introductory programming courses in various languages. So yeah, in meetup like this I could get a small class of complete newbies to a very basic level in a matter of hours - given a willing and intelligent class, of course. The lack of that requirement made teaching terrible as job.
Other ideas - soldering (also a skill I have), composting, canning, welding, beer brewing, wine making, small animal slaughtering/butchering, effective biking. Those are just the ones I can think of that I'd like to know.

JohnnyH

Post by JohnnyH »

LOL I can see this party now:

People butchering a deer in one corner, a couple PC workstations setup, some people brewing, bike parts everywhere, sword fighting, welding, cooking.
If mass arrests don't ensue sounds fantastic! ;)