NYC Meetup April 14 2:00PM Location TBD

Meetups, joint projects, classifieds, dating, exchanges, buying, selling, etc.
LiquidSapphire

Post by LiquidSapphire »

I am going to be in NYC seeing the sights April 14-19 and would love to finally get to put some names to faces! Having never been there before I would like an input on good locations or locations that have worked in the past, but I thought perhaps Central Park somewhere or Grand Central station.
Also if anyone has any ideas on how to see NYC on the cheap please let me know! I am just going to have a backpack on me so cheap hostels or couch surfing is next on my list to nail down.

secretwealth

Post by secretwealth »

90% chance my wife and I can make it--last time was good fun, except for my stupid jokes.

Chris

Post by Chris »

Count me in.
Our last two meetups started at Central Park. Bryant Park might be an easier-to-find spot though, since it's smaller and relatively easy to find the carrousel.
I'll be coming in to Grand Central if anyone wants to group there before heading out to the meeting point.

FPMLLC

Post by FPMLLC »

Looks like I'm off as well....

pooablo

Post by pooablo »

The last meet-up was super fun. I won't be able to make it this time but I hope there is a good turnout for this event. :)

BeyondtheWrap

Post by BeyondtheWrap »

Sure, why not? I'll also attend.

m741

Post by m741 »

I can also attend.

FPMLLC

Post by FPMLLC »

Looks like I am still off...but won't know for sure until the week prior.

LiquidSapphire

Post by LiquidSapphire »

Hi everyone -
The hostel I am staying at that night is cool with a small group of people hanging out, so I thought we could all meet there. (I don't want anyone to feel pressured to spend money, but also didn't want to be stuck outside if the weather was bad so thought it a good option. Feel free to bring food if you want; apparently the kitchen is HUGE (8 stoves). I may or may not bring popcorn and pop it there for everyone (space/weight dependent).
http://www.hihostels.com/affiliates/hiu ... 97060#book
I will PM my cell number to everyone responding to this thread. Apparently there will be a security guard near the entrance but I will have a chat with him and hopefully if you tell him you're here for the ERE meetup he should let you in.
If the weather's nice, maybe once everyone has gathered we could walk in Central Park, or we could all play a board game. I'm quite introverted so having a conversation over a board game could facilitate conversation, so if anyone has a good one to bring, that'd be awesome.
Also I read in some other threads that some people suggested bringing questions or things to talk about actually written down so if you do that I won't think you're weird, I will probably have something jotted down too.
See you all there at 2PM on Sunday!

BeyondtheWrap

Post by BeyondtheWrap »

Meeting at the hostel sounds good. (According to the forecast, the weather won't be bad on Sunday, though, so no need to worry about that.)
Speaking from my experience of past meet-ups, I can say that there is really no need to worry about having enough to talk about. Conversation goes on for hours, seeing as how we all share ERE in common and everyone has a unique and interesting take on it. I'd be more worried about having enough time! In fact, considering that, I might even say that a board game would be a distraction.
Snacks are good, though. I suggest that everyone bring snacks.

Chris

Post by Chris »

LS, thanks for negotiating space for us.
Based on the expected weather, I'm definitely in favor of spending at least some time outside.
As a group, I don't think we're completely adverse to spending some money. So LS, if there's something on your list that involves money (dinner in Chinatown?), no need to rule it out on our account.
And if BeyondtheWrap is bringing a snack, that means candy. I shall not bring candy.

LiquidSapphire

Post by LiquidSapphire »

Haha - I forgot that in this group *I* am the newbie and YOU all already know each other so whoooops! :)
Well if the weather is good let's plan on a stroll around Central Park and if you all are up for it, dinner in Chinatown later on? A check mark on my list is checking out some "authentic" Chinese and/or Thai food, not Americanized Chinese food, and well, I figured NYC had to have some of that!

BeyondtheWrap

Post by BeyondtheWrap »

LS, you won't be the only newbie if FPMLLC is able to make it this time. Also, a few people often decide to come to the meetup when there's only a few days left, so there's still hope!

FPMLLC

Post by FPMLLC »

Hey guys...Still not positive of my schedule but its looking good so far, and worst case I'm only 25 min from the park so i can head over.

FPMLLC

Post by FPMLLC »

Who ever is gonna go, do me a favor and PM a cell phone number/real name...
Weather should be nice!

secretwealth

Post by secretwealth »

Sadly, it looks like my wife and I won't be able to make it. We're renting our NYC apartment out that day and won't be able to get into the city for the meetup. Next time, we'll be there!

BeyondtheWrap

Post by BeyondtheWrap »

@secretwealth: Sorry to hear that. Next time!
@LS: So is the meeting point still the hostel?

LiquidSapphire

Post by LiquidSapphire »

That's the plan still, yes. I'll post in this space if you'll need more info to get in or if something changes. You all should also have my cell so please let me know if you have any trouble. It should be just a couple blocks away from the subway (I'm headed to the airport now so we'll see) ;)

LiquidSapphire

Post by LiquidSapphire »

So despite my calling ahead and everything, apparently guests are technically not allowed outside of the lobby where there is no seating. It is hit or miss on how well that rule is enforced. So, I'm thinking we'll gather and either try to "sneak" in or just go to Central Park as a group earlier than planned. Sorry guys but should still be fun :) see you tomorrow. I'll be wearing all black most likely and I have brown hair and glasses.

m741

Post by m741 »

Sorry for the late notice, but I won't be able to attend today. You all have a good time.