Chicago Meetup - Saturday August 7th at 2pm

Meetups, joint projects, classifieds, dating, exchanges, buying, selling, etc.
akratic

Post by akratic »

Let's meet to discuss ERE and get to know likeminded people in the windy city.
Unless someone living near downtown wants to host, let's meet in Grant Park, with a coffee shop as a backup plan. We'll sit around and talk about having fun without spending money, investing, bicycles, frugality tips and tricks, our own ERE goals and challenges and insights, etc., until people want to leave.
I hope there's other people in Chicago up for this!

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

Sounds interesting! I live about 95 miles away, but will consider it. Keep us posted on a specific meeting location.

MadHermit

Post by MadHermit »

I'm in the Northern Suburbs (Gurnee), but I'll see if my calendar is free. Definitely interested.

akratic

Post by akratic »

I could host up to two people (two couches in the living room) the night before or after this if they are willing to join http://couchsurfing.org
If most people who express interest are driving in, we should probably move the location a bit. Parking near Grant Park will be difficult. I was optimizing for bike/public transit commuting within the city of Chicago itself, but I'm happy to try to find a place with easy parking instead. We'll see who else expresses interest.

christopher

Post by christopher »

I'm in downtown Chicago and would also like to meet like-minded individuals. Unfortunately, meeting at Grant Park will be difficult on August 7 because of Lollapalooza. I would suggest any coffee shop in the Loop.
P.S. Not applicable for me, but I think you'll need to give people more information about how to find you on couchsurfing.org.

lifestyleignition

Post by lifestyleignition »

Good call noticing that Lollapalooza was on that date. Has there been a location decided yet? As for couchsurfing, input your direct profile link.

akratic

Post by akratic »

@christopher, thanks for pointing out Lollapalooza! I had no idea. We'll definitely need to move.
I'm worried about parking in the loop for the out-of-towners. I'll keep an eye out for a coffee shop accessible to those of us in the city, but also easy to park near. Can anyone suggest anything? I'm new to Chicago myself.
I guess I kind of backed myself into a corner with the couchsurfing hosting idea. I was hoping to remain semi-anonymous on here, at least to the internet at large. (I was hoping to be rather explicit about my financial situation and ERE plans in other posts.) I'll post a direct link to my profile in a few days, unless I can figure out another way to share this information with people who might want to stay at my place before or after the meetup.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

I can be an intermediate if you want to attempt to limit the publicity of your contact info. Of course, any secret that is shared is no longer a secret ...

christopher

Post by christopher »

I still can't think of any location better than the Loop. All CTA and Metra trains come here; the highest density of people live near here already, and it is basically equidistant from all of the surrounding areas.
If out-of-towners come by Greyhound bus or Amtrak rail, they will also be arriving to the downtown area.
For those that insist on driving all the way, there is certainly plenty of parking available... you just have to pay for it (and it's not cheap).

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

I brought my bike the last time I went to Chicago. I believe there was a park at 31st street and beach which had free parking. From there you can ride downtown to the loop or whereever.

Seabourne

Post by Seabourne »

Would enjoy the meet and I'm in Chicago, but work my second job on weekends - working 830am - 1130+pm that day.

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

It looks like there are only 3-4 of us possibly committed for this date and it sounds like this might be cancelled do to Lollapalooza?
I don't love big cities, and pretty much hate shopping, so based on the low odds that 1 out of 2 other people might show, I am going to pass this time since I am not a local. I am totally interested in an ERE meet, but the plans would have to include something that would get me driving to Chicago even if no one meet; like sailing:) I was able to rent a sailboat near Madison for about $60 for around 2-4 hours. That is pretty cheap between 4 people. I am not sure if they do something similar near downtown Chicago?

Seabourne

Post by Seabourne »

As it happens, my other job is working on sailboats :-)

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

Well! Then we should plan a "bring strangers to work day":)

akratic

Post by akratic »

Let's try the Starbucks at Jackson and Wabash [link] at 2pm on Saturday August 7th (as originally planned).
I'll be wearing a blue Boston Red Sox hat, I should be the only one. If you send me an email at ere@akratic.com, I'll give you my cell phone number for better coordinating.
I'm in for this for sure, and if at least one other person shows up I will consider it a success. That said, I don't have to drive nearly as far as you do Matthew, so I don't blame you for backing out.
If the loop area is mobbed due to Lollapalooza, we'll improvise. It's a shame that I didn't realize Lollapalooza was that weekend; I just wanted to get something up quickly with a hard date and time. Maybe someone else (Seabourne) can choose a better venue for a second attempt.
PS: I've noticed that people usually won't commit until the last minute anyway, so a great turnout is still possible!

christopher

Post by christopher »

I'll be there. Looking forward to it!

MadHermit

Post by MadHermit »

I'm going to try to make it. I've got a few things scheduled currently, but I'll see what I can do. And I've gotta check the Metra schedule. Looking forward!

akratic

Post by akratic »

I've received a couple of emails about this event outside of the forum, so I expect we will have at least three people for coffee and good ERE-centric conversation.
Tomorrow at 2pm at the Starbucks at Jackson and Wabash. Looking forward to seeing you there!

Steve Austin

Post by Steve Austin »

It's been mildly quieter than usual on the forums today; Chicago meet-up raging into the night? Evening sail on the lake?
Do you folks use your real names or your "internet names" at the meet-up? ;-)

Elmo

Post by Elmo »

Are you kidding, I don't even tell my mother my real name.
It was kinda eerie how we all showed up wearing groucho glasses, though. Made it hard to blend in at the Starbucks. :)