Tumbleweed Tiny House (/RV) Village + Group-Build of Tumbleweeds

Meetups, joint projects, classifieds, dating, exchanges, buying, selling, etc.
FreeUrChains

Post by FreeUrChains »

Can't 13+ people just find a big abandoned warehouse full of "junk" material, and work initially to form a self sustaining system for life for their soon to be Luxury Warehouse? lol, all without spending a dime, only labor time.
Greenhouse garden, rainfall showers, filtered water from local streams or storage tanks, even rechargable 120V power systems for tools from Solar panels, or gasifers and 12 used Car Batteries in series.
Then when it's all complete they can live there indefinitely, and Retired Early, and scare away the tax collector saying it's a religious thing.
("The Colony", a great mini series on learning how to survive together without spending a dime!)
Within 10 years, you could have a City of Luxury, Self-sustaining Warehouses filled with thousands of ERE people educating and teaching themselves every day!

FreeUrChains

Post by FreeUrChains »

@firefighterJeff,
2 weeks building, 2 weeks off, sounds a lot better then everyweek setting at a cubicle reading forms about ERE, Fake Financial Articles on yahoo!, and how greedy Corporate leaders make huge profits selling to consumers and controlling their lives via "must have job to survive".

FreeUrChains

Post by FreeUrChains »

side Note:
I have a cousin living in Northshore Hawaii, who lives in a Studio house that a retired man built from sractch on his property. Hawaii Real Estate is 3 times mainland. My cousin rents it at $1500/month for only maybe 750 sqft.
This guy was in the process of building another one. I think it only takes him 2 months. Ideal for North shore surfers/ vacation rentals, except for the price tag.

sshawnn

Post by sshawnn »

Really considering building the Popomo again.....(that I have paid for plans for!)
So much, that I found this
http://louisville.craigslist.org/for/2919713487.html
It is a good time for me to try and do this as I still have the farm and it would be nice to stay there occasionally.
The other good parts are that I have a covered space to work under with power and water. When its built, I can essentially create an RV hookup for utilities.
If that trailer works out, it will be a huge cost savings. Looking back at FFJeff's Lowes budget, I think there are still ways to save.
Still Pondering.........

livinlite

Post by livinlite »

On the topic of RV villages...
My wife and I stayed here: http://www.rollinghuts.com/
Now, those are kind of purpose-built, boutique-y type setups...damn cool, but maybe not so practical for long-term living...but the idea is solid.
Basically, you have a little port-a-potty in your unit (or next to it as the case may be) and then you have a community area located on site for get-togethers, showers, more typical bathrooms, etc. They also had an outdoor cooking area, playground and all that.
I think it's pretty much an ideal co-housing setup.
Could be done on a large piece or land in a rural area; or by buying a RV-park and converting it as needed.
Park-model RV's are going for $21K plus these days if you don't want to build your own. And if you have a group of them, they could become very liveable, even for families.
Heck, any of this is a step up from the Tom Joad days of ramshackle shanty's and shared mess-halls...no?
And is this really any different than buying a 4bdr house and getting 2-3 roommates that have similar interests to rent space out to, have a communal garden, chickens, etc?

EMJ

Post by EMJ »

@livinlite zoning and building codes will stop this great idea in its tracks almost everywhere.

BriarRose111

Post by BriarRose111 »

OK, so what was everyone's consensus on the Tumbleweed brand travel homes and cottages? Did anyone buy or build one? I just read about them on Facebook (such an educational place - Hah!), then found this thread here on ERE. They are cute, and would be a plus for people without the skill or tools to build their own. Jacob had a good point about resale value too.

sshawnn

Post by sshawnn »

I still fall into the willing to help category but currently the timing is not good for one of my own.

EMJ

Post by EMJ »

Almost 2 years after moving in I'm still happily living in my self designed tiny house.

C40

Post by C40 »

I'm thinking I might build a small home myself after retiring. Probably wouldn't do it on a trailer because I think I'll want more size. It will be at least a few years before I start.

tylerrr

Post by tylerrr »

@EMJ,
can you please post pics? I'd love to see pics for inspiration. Or I could PM you and give you my email address?