ERE is going to invest and create ....

Meetups, joint projects, classifieds, dating, exchanges, buying, selling, etc.
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

The only project I think of now and then is an off grid trailer (possibly within a shed/barn/greenhouse) that would connect to structures on land or in ground to store water and take advantage of the thermal mass in the water. The only reason I don't think "house" is because of the many codes and regulations regarding housing structures (and it is good to be able to move your home). I would use most of the water for collecting solar heat in the winter (I was thinking supplimental heat with wood from forest land). If the water was stored below ground it might provide some cooling in the summer (through a heat exchanger). I would also put the trailer in shade/shed. This link is the closest example I have for how this might work even in the winter:
http://www.jc-solarhomes.com/Solar_Heat ... anuary.htm
I would have to do my own experiment to test the calculations I have been doing. Understanding location (weather) is extemely important before you can develop a good off grid layout since the technology requires lots of space and material for the amount of energy returned. Most things that claim to be off grid are just not plugged in or require supplimental energy like propane/gas. Data I have on energy from the sun is general at best and usually is an annual figure.

bohorquez1

Post by bohorquez1 »

It seems someone has already volunteered to do the legal work for a potential project, and I would like to offer my help with the tax/accounting side of things. I think the ERE community can be split into those already retired and those looking to get there. Knowing the characteristics of investors can help us have two investor classes, and the LLC structure allows you to allocate income and deductions in a non pro-rata manner. So on paper we could give the income to those in need of cash flow, and allocate expenses (the largest being depreciation) to those who still have a W2 and need the tax deductions. Personally, I fall in the latter category.

Protege

Post by Protege »

Have you guys thought about collectively writing a companion book to Jacob's ERE? It could show how ERE has been done and how it's currently being done by members on this site. Individual memoirs, ideas, experiences etc? It's a subject near and dear to everyone on the site, individual locations are not an issue, it doesn't have to be a lifelong committment for those more committed to not working :) there's already quite a bit of content from blog posts, just needs a little editing, Seem to be many talented people on this site with various skills to contribute to a project like this i.e. A new member with PR expertise; perhaps she would be interested in helping to promote and market such a book? Would be very timely in this economic climate. Might appeal to a wider public during these times. What do you think?

NYC ERE

Post by NYC ERE »

hey everybody! haven't been on the forum for a while.
i agree with Jeff and Jacob (in project proposals of the past) that decentralized cooperation would be ideal. we don't necessarily have to be physical neighbors, when we're already intellectual neighbors here on the forum.
what about a six-month "Tumbleweed Factory?"

Maus

Post by Maus »

I love the idea storm. And I agree with @Dragline that a workable partnership agreement would be fairly straighforward. Perhaps one snag would be ensuring that any intellectual property (aquaponics patents, software, copyrights etc.) belong to the individual creators and not to the partnership entity. I hate to sound selfish, but such a clause is really the only way to protect the hard worker from the freeloader.
A more fundamental problem that I foresee is the hurdle of placing capital at risk. As an older seeker of ERE, I've worked too long already amassing my nut to subject it to significant dimunition of principle. I simply don't have the time to replace non-trivial losses; so it makes me hesitant. Younger EREistas may be more resilient; but I suspect others of my ilk would have similar concerns. A big part of my own attitudes toward FI were molded by YMOYL. And a big part of the YMOYL plan was a relatively secure, relatively risk-free investment vehicle. Unfortunately, the 30YR T-Bond no longer has the cache it did when YMOYL was published.

JohnnyH

Post by JohnnyH »

I'm terribly interesting in the hedge fund/quant shop idea. This could likely be done with online collaboration.
Rather than build why not buy existing? I often see no reserve auctions on mixed use apartment, office, retail space/ranches... With enough capital, and time/patience, one could potentially be won for 25% market value.
We have RE management and construction experience in the group. Rent/retail/ag space at reduced rates for shareholders. We could have a fortress/council of the Alphas if anything goes wrong. ;)
... Renting out your team of invasive weed eating goats = genius.

totoro

Post by totoro »

I think that if there is a good business idea here it should be put into the form of a business plan. For example, the RV park.
A business plan should follow the formal format and provide projections on ROI and capital required and proposed structure.
Once the draft plan is complete, this could be announced and those that are really interested could schedule a skype call to discuss.
Those that are still interested could review and revise the business plan and enter into an agreement.
Someone needs to take ownership of the business plan stage. If it the ROI is there, investors who are interested in the project for ROI and added value reasons (like an ERE real community) are likely to commit.

Marlene

Post by Marlene »

Maybe it´s a good idea to put the projects gotten going into the journal section, so "lurkers" can figure out to which projects they want to attach themselves to?

susswein

Post by susswein »

I just joined the forums; is this idea still being actively pursued?

Veritas

Re: ERE is going to invest and create ....

Post by Veritas »

A project that I've had in mind for awhile is micro apartments near major public transit trunks in high cost metro areas. I've been working on designing a 16-unit, 200-250sqft/unit apartment building that can fit on a 5000sqft lot. It was inspired by my staying in Japan and experiencing their very small apartments and realizing that if they were well-designed, they weren't too bad to live in.

I think that increasing density in core urban areas and increasing the potential/incentive for people to ditch their cars is a pretty worthy investment. If you can invest in technologies that make their actual living place more efficient, as well, you can effectively remove several people's worth of environmental costs.

In the city where I'm at, even a single bedroom with a shared bath near transit lines goes for $500-600 in a typical case. A private bath can increase this to $800 or more.

I've been working on an analysis of the value vs cost of various housing factors and it seems clear to me that there's immense demand for close access to public transit and city amenities, and the existing housing stock and most new construction isn't serving it efficiently. Major opportunity to pick up outsized returns on a few million bucks.

akratic

Post by akratic »

I like that idea, Veritas. Here's one going up in Columbus, OH: link. Rent for that place is $695 - $895/unit.

JamesR

Post by JamesR »

http://youtu.be/1p5Kp8esq5Q?t=2m16s is a big inspiration to me in terms of high density housing. Basically we only need space for whatever we're doing at that moment in time. If we're in bed, we don't need a bathroom, kitchen, etc. So perhaps these things can be hidden, or better yet, shared with other people in the same building.

Perhaps beds, bathrooms, kitchens, and other types of rooms could have an automatic cleaning/reset cycle that happens between uses. I think something like a college residence would be quite nice, large shared areas but also personal areas (on demand), etc.

Municipal housing codes may also have strict limitations on how dense housing could be, this might be a problem in some cases. But I think well designed high density houses, that are humane and super affordable, would be hugely helpful to so many people.

Veritas

Post by Veritas »

That's exactly the sort of thing I'm talking about akratic, Except when he says:
We are not flooding the market with these units, but we have two great locations that will provide a quality living experience at an affordable price
Given enough initial traction, I will flood the market. I've been studying construction of various kinds for some time, and looking into local labor and land costs and so on, and I think I could get a 10% cash on cash return even at just $400-$500/unit. And, well, if I fail...at least a city I love now has lots of cheap housing options.
Municipal housing codes may also have strict limitations on how dense housing could be, this might be a problem in some cases. But I think well designed high density houses, that are humane and super affordable, would be hugely helpful to so many people.
I'm lucky, though, in that my city has been zoning for high density infill development along the major transit corridors for awhile now. However, most developers are sticking to more traditional 500-1000sqft apartments. Only one developer that I know of is going down to 300-400, and they charge around $1,000/month for these tiny things. That's how out of control the demand is.