Eugene, Oregon Meetup Saturday August 13

Meetups, joint projects, classifieds, dating, exchanges, buying, selling, etc.
jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

Details to follow.
Send me a PM or email to get the location/time.
Form: Spontaneous potluck (cookies, snacks, wine, homebrewed beer, homegrown turnips, ...)
I'll bring some ERE-relevant books to swap or give away.
We'd like an approximate head count, so respond below.

UrbanHomesteader

Post by UrbanHomesteader »

Count me in, plus one. I live in Eugene.

dragoncar

Post by dragoncar »

This kills it for me (from wikipedia):
The combination of being in the downwind end of the Willamette Valley, the undisputed "grass-seed capital of the world"[14] and the confining shape of the hills has led to Eugene being “the area of the highest grass pollen counts in the USA (> 1,500 pollen grains/m 3 of air).”

sethwmiller

Post by sethwmiller »

I was watching the USA Track and Field Championships in Eugene last month and one of the runners mentioned that there might not be a worse place in the world for someone to run distance races who has issues with pollen. He ran the first half of the race with a mask on.

Mirwen

Post by Mirwen »

I want very much to go, but can't justify the cost of the trip. I've had Portland-itis for a few years now and Eugene gets a big up-vote here. U of Oregon is a great school too.

Rachel

Post by Rachel »

Oregon is an area that I would love to live in, unfortunately it can never happen as being British they wont let me in, grrrrrr

Riggerjack

Post by Riggerjack »

well, i won't be going. but having lived there, i have to say: don't miss the Saturday Market, right in downtown. i'd suggest picking somewhere nearby to meet, but don't miss it. i've lived all over, and noplace has a better craft/hippie fest than eugene's saturday market.
the pollen's no joke. so take some allegra.
i also love the division of eugene/springfield. it's like the city planners all got together and said, "we all live in eugene, so we'll have the parks and downtown, and art festivals here, and we'll put the industries and factories and university and low income housing in springfield!"
good luck, folks. hope you have a great time.

George the original one

Post by George the original one »

Hmm... I find I'll be trout fishing in the area tomorrow (Row River, Cottage Grove and possibly over on lower Fall Creek if we don't get any action) with a buddy, which would be an excuse to drop in, but we're notoriously unconcious of time when fishing and usually soaked with river water flavored with fish slime.
The weather will be as perfect as a web-footed Oregonian could want: 70s, partly sunny. Pleasingly warm without being hot.