Summer/Fall Meetup

Meetups, joint projects, classifieds, dating, exchanges, buying, selling, etc.
JohnnyH

Post by JohnnyH »

Have FF miles, will travel.
Any meetups... anywhere? I'd love to attend a meetup, and have FF miles expiring soon.
I offer to host... I am in rural MT.;)

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

I tried arranging one some time ago, but there were very few takers. Likely because it would have been the 4th one within the span of half a year or so. We can try again ... something like NorCal or the bottom of Oregon.
Another thing we could do instead of a meetup is to go camping(*) for an overnighter. This would give us more time to talk to each other. In particular, I've noticed that I mainly talk to the 3-4 people I sit next to and not so much anyone else. It seems to be the same for others.
(*) The price is typically per spot, not per person, so I can cover the spot price. However, everybody would need to finagle their own tent, sleeping bag, or go home early (another option).

m741

Post by m741 »

I would attend one in NYC or somewhere in the NE US.

Maus

Post by Maus »

I am sorry I missed the earlier Bay Area meetups, so I'm hoping we can make one this summer or fall a reality. As long as it isn't in the second half of June or the first week of August (prior travel commitments).
There is a great campsite at Patrick's Point near Humbold on the northern CA coast:

http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=417

Freedom_2018

Post by Freedom_2018 »

Hi..the NorCal camping Idea sounds like fun...heck I haven't camped in quite a while..might even make for a nice motorcycle ride getting to and back!
P.S. I used to go under the moniker of mike on here and have met some of you at the San Jose meetup as well as the one in Berkeley (Jacob & spouse, Q, S, Zev, SFJane, Bakari & gf..a couple other names I can't recall)..but in the past couple of months changed to current so that I am always reminded of my intention.

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

Hopefully we can arrange some car pooling as well.

Concojones

Post by Concojones »

I'm about to move to inland NorCal, from Europe, and I would definitely be interested in meeting up with you guys.

jane sf

Post by jane sf »

Am I too late for the party? Sorry it has taken me so long to log on. Mike, was wondering how you were - good to see you are back. I would love to meet more of you - esp. JohnnyH and Maus. How about considering Angel Island in the Bay as camping destination? I am good to go other than first 2 weeks of August. JH would just have to fly into Oakland or SF & public transportation would take care of the rest. Cheers!

Freedom_2018

Post by Freedom_2018 »

I like the Angel Island camping idea...some seclusion but close enough so that one could take public transportation etc. Here is a link to the camping & boating facilities: http://angelisland.org/visitor-informat ... g-camping/

Maus

Post by Maus »

Angel Island is fine with me, too. But there goes sleeping in the bed of the pickup. Maybe (no promises) I can convince my friend to provide a sailing opportunity. He's got a Cal 29 moored in one of the Bay marinas.

JohnnyH

Post by JohnnyH »

I am crazy busy right now, but would really love attending... Angel Island sounds great to me.
I bet I could rent a car pretty cheap, then I should (terrible city driving aside) be able to pickup 3 others, maybe 4 depending on car size and gear... If car pooling works out we could even venture farther out into the hinterlands.
Conco: when are you going to be in CA?

Freedom_2018

Post by Freedom_2018 »

So I visited Angel Island this Saturday (first time ever). Some info that might be relevant:
- Campsites are by booking. Online availability and booking tool at www.reserveamerica.com/campsiteCalendar ... kId=120003
- General Advice seems to be that Campsite 1 (and the East Bay Campsites) are the least windy/preferred. Others can get quite cold/windy.
- No camping store etc. though so need to be bring everything in. Will have to lug camping stuff 2-3 miles and a couple of hundred feet elevation. One restaurant at Ayala Cove..usual junk food and sandwiches/salads.
- Paved road 5 mile circumference around the island. Easy walking, biking. Other bike routes also available..more suitable for MTB type bikes.
- Hike to highest point on Island, 800 ft.
- Ferry from Tiburon (for East Bay folks) and SF. Tiburon ferry is $13.5/per person round trip. Last ferry to Tiburon leaves at 5:20 p.m.
- Overall a pleasant experience, Interesting history of Chinese immigrants and military bases... but there were many people around and I could even hear music wafting up from the boats going moored around the island. To me felt very much like an urban experience...but probably quieter when the last boat leaves.

jane sf

Post by jane sf »

Mike: Thanks for checking out the feasibility of Angel Island camping - good reality check - sounds like a day hike spot. Maybe better idea to have a destination with easier logistics. A place an hour or two tops from SF bay area could be ideal - AND a place where Maus can sleep in the back of his truck.

Is the end of August looking good?

Freedom_2018

Post by Freedom_2018 »

End of August would work for me...middle of August would too.
Any other suggestions from folks regarding camping venues?
Meanwhile going mid June to Utah for a week. Have been wanting to see Bryce Canyon, Arches and a bunch of other national parks in the south/south west of the state.

murpheyw

Post by murpheyw »

I'd love to meet up anywhere in Central or Northern California in the month of July.

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

Watch this space!
Meetup coming soon in early September in the sf east bay.

JohnnyH

Post by JohnnyH »

Excellent!... I hope I can make it. How's public transit from the airport to this east bay location?

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

Pretty good! See bart.gov --- it connects to OAK and SFO.