Money on the floor

Move along, nothing to see here!
johnbroker

Money on the floor

Post by johnbroker »

Yesterday I found 5 cents (€) on the floor. I put it in our "free dinner" can. My girlfriend and I have found 15,61€ this year. Let's see where it get us at the end of the year.

Does anybody do something like this?

chenda

Re: Money on the floor

Post by chenda »

Yes indeed, I never walk pass a penny without picking it up. They go in a special jar.

When I was about 6 I once found a wallet on a cliff full of £1000s of travellers cheques. We handed this in to the police though.

fiby41

Post by fiby41 »

About 5 years ago I found 500rs. The guilty conscience is too much for me to keep it. Someone must have very recently dropped it because the note would have otherwise flew with the wind. I gave it to a nearby watchman. It was my biweekly path. The watchman said he gave it to a woman who came looking for it. Few weeks later on the same path that lady must have also been passing by as she approached, asked about it and thanked me.

If I find coins, which is very rare, maybe once every two years, its just loose change, and then there's the guilty conscience so I donate it.

SErickson

Post by SErickson »

I walk every single day. I almost never find coins. Dimes rarely. Pennies are the most common, which is not to say they come by often.

I always pick them up. But I put all my change in a jar. Even the change I get when paying with cash. And it takes years to get to hundreds of dollars.

Though I once entered a parking lot where loose bills were blowing around in the wind. I gathered them up and chased some down. I looked up expecting someone to be standing in front of me with an empty wallet... but there was no one. No one at all! The parking lot was just full of empty cars.

Fifty dollars in singles and maybe a few fivers. I was just a kid, and when I told people about it, they all jokingly tried to say it was theirs. Never knew what the right move was. It seemed like if I handed it over, whoever got it was going to keep it, but as a kid (and still to this day) it seemed like too much money to keep.

What is the cut off for people? Over a hundred? Over a thousand? The presence of a reliable and trustworthy security guard? How do you tell when it is ok to keep, and when you should hand it over to the authorities?