Mr. Pirsig is dead ladies and gentleman.

Move along, nothing to see here!
TheWanderingScholar

Mr. Pirsig is dead ladies and gentleman.

Post by TheWanderingScholar »

I was scrolling through Reddit and found this out.

The guy was the author behind Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance. Not exactly ERE topic but I know for many people were fans of his work. So I decided to post this here.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/ ... dies-at-88

Jake9870

Re: Mr. Pirsig is dead ladies and gentleman.

Post by Jake9870 »

I'm in the middle of the novel right now actually.. At my uni many classes require you to read the book, because he made quite the impact here in Bozeman. I know a few people who followed the same roadtrip as well.

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

I have never read the book due to some sort of green eggs and ham prejudice against zen, motorcycles and the 1970s. I am sure there is a copy in my sister's collection, and I am now feeling inspired by the article above to finally give it a read. I don't know why titles sometimes put me off so much. Took me forever to get around to reading "The Way of All Flesh" or anything by Gore Vidal for similar reasons.

keithHudd

Post by keithHudd »

One of my favorite books.

It has a great power to be a bridge between disciplines, and even ways of looking at the world. It took me on a journey from rhetoric and philosophy to a real understanding of tools, craftsmanship, and tinkering. But many other journeys of understanding are possible, depending on where you are starting from.

enigmaT120

Post by enigmaT120 »

I don't think it made me a better motorcycle mechanic but I liked (and own) the book. The only thing that made me a better mechanic was 30 years of being a poor mechanic.

George the original one

Post by George the original one »

Gosh, he was an old fart! Never realized he was in his 40s when he wrote the book.

Riggerjack

Post by Riggerjack »

The only thing that made me a better mechanic was 30 years of being a poor mechanic.
And YouTube.

vexed87

Post by vexed87 »

Being a keen (bi)cycle mechanic, I just ordered the book just to see what the fuss is about. I was supposed to be having a spend free week too. Grr!

enigmaT120

Post by enigmaT120 »

...it's probably in most libraries. Though not everybody has library access.

Yes Youtube is good, but too late to prevent some of the stuff I've done. People on vehicle forums refer to DPOs, Dreaded Previous Owners, to blame for what's wrong with their vehicle. I've owned my old (1970) Bonneville since 1987 so I have to blame myself for everything.