Frugality fail list

Move along, nothing to see here!
7Wannabe5

Re: Frugality fail list

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

My first marriage, the rings were the least expensive bands we could buy at a local store and the wedding/reception took place in a public park. My next "engagement" ring was mailed back to suitor in a huff after break-up. My next "marriage", the rings were purchased at a pawn shop, and I traded mine in at another pawn shop for some gold earrings after we split.

So, in retrospect, I would say that whether or not a big diamond ring is frugal depends on whether you are the one giving it or receiving it, and what you are likely to do with it in the event you don't die with it on your finger.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g__ANxxwKIk

Dragline

Post by Dragline »

7Wannabe5 wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:26 am
I must admit that I broke down one year and took my kids to Universal Studios, rather than camping. I expected to hate the experience, but I actually had a lot of fun and found myself almost instantly addicted to the 3-D Spiderman ride. Kind of like how I rarely go to see movies in the theater, but I paid to see "Moulin Rouge" 3 times in a row because something about the cinematography made a direct hit to the pleasure/endorphin center of my brain. And, I constantly have to remind myself that I have never regretted money spent on season live theater tickets, OTOH, the only sport I have ever enjoyed watching in any venue was horse-racing upon which I had placed very small bets. I doubt that maximum utility is achieved by maintaining "Green Eggs and Ham" attitude about anything and everything produced for mass consumption.
Once in a decade or so to a tourist mecca is one thing. But traipsing off every year to the same tourist mecca is actually quite bizarre and unnaturally programmed in a Camazotz-like way when you think about it.

halfmoon

Post by halfmoon »

7Wannabe5 wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:37 am
So, in retrospect, I would say that whether or not a big diamond ring is frugal depends on whether you are the one giving it or receiving it, and what you are likely to do with it in the event you don't die with it on your finger.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g__ANxxwKIk
I if I were going to emulate the theme of Diamonds Are a Girl's Best Friend, I would ask for money instead of diamonds. More buck for the bang, so to speak. ;) Since DH and I combined our finances from the beginning, a diamond would have come out of both our pockets and impacted our joint goals. That's a non-starter for me; in fact, we never bought or wore rings at all.

I do still have the modest ring from my first marriage, which I always intended to return to my former MIL (the ring was her gift). I never got around to it before she died, and I regret that.

Farm_or

Post by Farm_or »

My DW lost the diamond off her ring digging in a gopher hole. I suspect that she has not requested a replacement due to joint accounting. I couldn't wear a ring because I was an electrician. Electrical current doesn't recognize status symbols

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE »

Farm_or wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:07 pm
My DW lost the diamond off her ring digging in a gopher hole. I suspect that she has not requested a replacement due to joint accounting. I couldn't wear a ring because I was an electrician. Electrical current doesn't recognize status symbols
graphite ring or some other non conductive material?

C40

Post by C40 »

Or carbon fiber (or just cheaper plastic), or I'm sure there are a bunch of other non-conductive options.

In some lines of work (including some electricians) its' better not to wear a ring because of the risk of catching the ring on something and having your finger pulled off your hand. I suppose this could also be solved by getting a ring that will break before doing that.

bryan

Post by bryan »

halfmoon wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:18 am
When a relative stiffed us on a huge loan we'd given him, he said "I'm not going to live like a pauper the way you two do just to pay you back."
:x :x :x :evil: :evil: :evil: that's infuriating.

halfmoon

Post by halfmoon »

@bryan, I like to think we've gotten over it...but the angry icons made me so HAPPY that I'm not sure. :lol:

Gilberto de Piento

Post by Gilberto de Piento »

One of my friends wears a rubber or silicone wedding band. Seems to work and cost almost nothing.

halfmoon

Post by halfmoon »

What is the thing about a wedding ring? Am I missing the ring gene? Maybe the current solution for those who insist should be a wedding ring tattoo.

shade-tree

Post by shade-tree »

My co worker has lost 7 wedding rings over 27 years of marriage. Happened again just recently. She just goes to the mall and buys a new gold band. She has the wedding band gene, without a doubt.

SustainableHappiness

Post by SustainableHappiness »

Gilberto de Piento wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:43 pm
One of my friends wears a rubber or silicone wedding band. Seems to work and cost almost nothing.
A company called Qalo sells these for $20 a pop, or in bulk for less. They can come in multiple colours and are trendy/attractive to lots of people right now if that's what you want. I've lost one kayaking so far. I did love it, however they leave sweat/water underneath the water with no breathing room but flexibility to let the moisture in, so if you are not careful you'll get a skin infection under the silicone (spoken from experience).

I no longer wear a wedding band after a failed attempt to wear silver, and 2 failed attempts to wear silicone.