Antivirus software and smartphones

Move along, nothing to see here!
G_Dog

Antivirus software and smartphones

Post by G_Dog »

So my antivirus has the option to install onto my phone. Anyone IT minded know if it is worthwhile?

daylen

Re: Antivirus software and smartphones

Post by daylen »

The best Antivirus software is you.

Personally, I despise Antivirus software.

G_Dog

Post by G_Dog »

daylen wrote:The best Antivirus software is you.
Very true.

Why do you despise antivirus? I've always paid for it, and wondered if it was ever doing much good.

bryan

Post by bryan »

Assuming Android (since an iPhone probably doesn't have to worry about it).

"virus" for smartphones could be a misnomer. Exactly what are you worried about? Many legit apps could be considered viruses.. Then again, sure there are some spyware, adware, malware that you might be familiar with on PC.

The best security is never installing APKs from anywhere except the Google Play Store and only installing apps that seem trustworthy. The easy vector is having the exploit code in some APK like "FREE Minecraft!" or some otherwise vulnerable legit app that could be taken advantage of to get execution in it's context. Harder to deliver it through more universal means e.g. javascript on some website or SMS.

I'm not sure how useful a phone anti-virus is since you can't install it with high (system, root) privileges to let it do anything really interesting (like it would do on a PC). I suppose there are some interesting Google/system APIs that anti-virus apps could utilize to be ever so slightly useful..

One thing that might actually be useful is finding an apk that searches for all known root exploits and reports back if any are exploitable. Not too much you can do at that point other than be more aware of the sorry state of vendor updates (unless you find a project/apk that exploits the privilege escalation exploit in order to patch the exploit away...) and choose a better vendor next time around.

So yeah, don't bother with anti-virus on your smartphone.

Overall Android security model sucks because so many useful things (firewalls!) are not possible without root, but gaining root is a huge security vuln.
daylen wrote:The best Antivirus software is you.
WARNING: many "viruses" these days are actually pretty silent. It won't give you many, if any, clues that you are infected. it's not like the early days when it was for shits and giggles. Consider yourself lucky if you get infected with a bitcoin ransomware instead of something more nefarious.

daylen

Post by daylen »

I do not like anti-virus software because it is bloated, proprietary, and requires constant updates. A simple firewall does most of the job without the annoyances.

There is a dilemma between security and usability. It is possible for a computer to be so secure as not to be usable. The question is, what do you need to protect? Do you want to secure data? Does that data need to be kept secret? Do you need to keep your system online (server)? Do you want to protect your privacy? Do you want to keep someone from using your processing power in a web of zombie computers performing a DDoS attack?

Most of these problems can be eleminated by encryption, backing up data to cloud, using a firewall, and monitoring your vitals. For most use cases, it should not be a big deal if your system is compromised (if you exercised basic precautions). Worst case scenario you reinstall your OS (what is this compared to all the waiting around for your anti-virus software to update?

G_Dog

Post by G_Dog »

bryan wrote:Exactly what are you worried about?
I wasn't worried, until I had the option to have it...

@daylen @bryan That's helpful, thanks I did wonder if I was being paranoid!

EricaR

Post by EricaR »

Android smartphones is secured itself and antivirus guard is not much necessary unless you root it. Supposing you root your device, you call all the virus and malware to visit your device and steal your data. Because, virus, hackers and malware can anonymously enter a rooted smartphone without informing the device owner and behave freely inside the device. So, if you have an intention to root your device, make sure to install a virus guard prior to do it or you can use app such as VirtualXposed to use root benefits without root access.