Cheap, semi-reliable internet access

Move along, nothing to see here!
fiby41

Re: Cheap, semi-reliable internet access

Post by fiby41 »

fiby41 wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:15 am
I've time until 15 April to become a paid user.
Today is supposedly the last day of free internet. Yesterday I paid Rs 99 for Prime Membership of 1 year.
Then Rs 309 plan which gets me free voice over LTE (VoLTE), unlimited data (1GB high speed 4G data per day, after which speed throttles to 128 Kbps) and 100 SMS a day. This is for 3 months (84 days, 84 GB) of Jio Dhan Dhana Dhan.

Before this there was an almost identical Jio Summer Surprise offer for Rs 303. Airtel and Vodafone filed a complaint to TRAI (telecom regulatory authority) for competitive pricing and so TRAI 'advised' Jio to rollback which it did.

Before Jio I used to pay Rs 99 for 1 GB data per month to government owned MTNL. Worst part of it was that I had to keep tab on how much data was remaining as when the 1GB got used up, it started eating into my voice/call/account balance. It would not stop until the account balance reached 0, or unless I didn't realise that the data pack was over and stoped using the net.

cheap, semi-reliable... It's cheap and well, it's name is Reliance Jio so...

Ego

Post by Ego »

1USD= 64.47INR

So, Amazon Prime in India costs 99INR = $1.56? The cell phone plan costs $4.79 for 84 days of service or $20.81 annually? Wow

fiby41

Post by fiby41 »

Ego wrote:
Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:44 am
So, Amazon Prime in India costs 99INR = $1.56?
TBH I just watch whatever is on TV but if I particularly take a liking for something, then I have to compulsively watch all the seasons and read the fandom wiki pages. :'(

But I remember seeing a billboard ad from when it was launched so I looked it up. Apparently it was launched here on my birthday.

It is ₹499 and not ₹99.

Pro-tip: You can use your Indian Amazon Prime account to view Prime Videos in other countries, at which point you'll see the catalogue for that country. This means that if you have an Indian account, you can still access the full US catalogue of Amazon Prime Video. IOW, you can get an Amazon Prime account when in India to watch content of your country after you are back home.
Ego wrote:
The cell phone plan costs $4.79 for 84 days of service or $20.81 annually?
For 84 days only. It's limited to one recharge only and not applicable if already recharged with Jio Prime + ₹303 or above plan.

I think bringing the price point lower, it's to get users to become paying customers who haven't made a single recharge yet and prevent them from going back to their previous service provider treating jio as a throwaway.

BTW I used their payment gateway to get 1 of 5 (1 /transaction) ₹50 vouchers which I can redeem when/if I make my next recharge.

fiby41

Post by fiby41 »

Cmonkey's post which is related
viewtopic.php?t=6523

fiby41 wrote:
Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:03 am
Ego wrote:
The cell phone plan costs $4.79 for 84 days of service or $20.81 annually?
For 84 days only. It's limited to one recharge only and not applicable if already recharged with Jio Prime + ₹303 or above plan.
₹399 for another/next 84 days
(as opposed to ₹309 for the past/previous 84 days.)