Question on pricing a used car with low miles

Move along, nothing to see here!
JuliusFC

Question on pricing a used car with low miles

Post by JuliusFC »

I want to sell my 2007 Jetta and it only has 15,000 miles. I have no idea how to factor that into the price. The car is old and a stick shift but the mileage is so abnormally low. Or maybe I'm delusional and the low mileage isn't as valuable as I think on a nine year old standard car. FWIW it's also in excellent condition and looks brand new. The calculators I've looked at suggest about a 2K premium for the mileage which seems reasonable to me but I have no one knowledgeable about this kind of stuff to run it by. Opinions are much appreciated.

OTCW

Re: Question on pricing a used car with low miles

Post by OTCW »

You could take it to carmax to see their offer, then price it a couple grand more than that for your own private sale.

SavingWithBabies

Post by SavingWithBabies »

OTCW wrote:You could take it to carmax to see their offer, then price it a couple grand more than that for your own private sale.
I second this. Unfortunately, I think you'll find the low miles aren't worth much, if any, premium. I would be happy to be wrong.

On rereading, if it is in that good a shape, one place where you might see a premium is from enthusiasts. So go post your car forsale over at the VWVortex forum. There are two places to put it: the forum for your particular model and the regional thread (which is useful as you'll alert local enthusiasts). They will pay a little more and/or appreciate the shape it is in.

JuliusFC

Post by JuliusFC »

No carmax where I live but I'm sure there's something similar. I'll look into that and the VWVortex forum. Thank you!

tommytebco

Post by tommytebco »

It's very hard to get a premium price for a prime condition "anything". MSN autos has one estimating tool that allows for mileage and condition. And IIRC it runs toards the high end of prices.

To get a high price, you can't be "modest" in your advertising and you must be prepared to endure endless haggling until you find one of the few sincere buyers out there.

wheatstate

Post by wheatstate »

http://bringatrailer.com/auctions/

I would consider submitting the car to the above auction site. Normally, they specialize in exotic, premium cars. The audience likes seeing mint, stick, low mileage vehicles, so it could be an interesting venue.

To command a premium for low mileage, having the car garaged and not sun-baked would be equally important.

GLWS (good luck with the sale.)