Best case for an iPhone 5 on a bicycle in a downpour?

Move along, nothing to see here!
TopHatFox

Best case for an iPhone 5 on a bicycle in a downpour?

Post by TopHatFox »

Lifeproof Nuud? Otterbox Defender?

I removed and replaced the glass/digizer of an iPhone 5 I bought for cheap off a friend. Now I'd like to find a light-weight, drop-and-water proof case (ride my bike with it on a handle bar mount under heavy rain). I usually use the phone for Google Maps and to connect via blue-tooth to a portable speaker that plays me podcasts and music as I ride. This is much safer than earphones IMHO. I pull up to the side of the road to adjust stations or direction.

Got any suggestions? Used is ideal of course.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Re: Best case for an iPhone 5 on a bicycle in a downpour?

Post by jacob »

Double ziploc bag. Inner pocket mount.

Tyler9000

Post by Tyler9000 »

FWIW, I used to design iPhone cases for a living and I second Jacob's suggestion. Waterproof cases and handlebar mounts are expensive solutions for an unnecessary problem.

Since you have a portable Bluetooth speaker there's a good chance it has track skip controls built into the buttons (even if there's only one play/pause/answer-phone button, try double-clicking it while the music is playing). So there's really no need to ever access your phone while riding. Don't be that guy depending on GPS to ride around town. Keep your head up and learn. If you ever truly get lost, you can stop and pull the phone out to get your bearings.

When I ride, I keep my phone and keys in a small, inexpensive zipper bag that attaches under the seat. It's reasonably water resistant (and is naturally shielded from rain in that location) and easy to access on the rare occasion I need to check my phone.
Last edited by Tyler9000 on Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

If you're really concerned about waterproofing, you can use a prophylactic inside the ziploc (rubber glove or dry condom).

I'm not sure about a case. I drop my phone when I run, so I've been looking around for a solution, too. I've been wondering if I could cut a slit into the sole of an old flip flop to hold the phone. I figure I could cut it down to the size I want and punch holes in it so I can fasten it to anything I want to.

Tyler9000

Post by Tyler9000 »

When running, I think how you attach it to your body is probably more important than a case. Lots of people like armbands. If you don't like wearing your phone as a badge, it seems like a money belt would be a good option. If you're looking to improvise, I wonder if a tube sock might work - insert phone into sock, and tie it around your arm or ankle.

I do like your flip flop idea. I'll have to experiment with that. :)

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE »

is this really a problem? brute has just always had his phone in his pocket or jacket pocket and it never got damaged from rain.

TopHatFox

Post by TopHatFox »

To be clear, I'm also wanting a good case in general--so I don't have to fix up the screen again the first time the phone falls. The water proof bike riding is just a plus.

Tyler9000

Post by Tyler9000 »

I'd personally recommend pretty much anything by Speck Products. They pay a lot of attention to quality and durability without making things too bulky or ugly. And they're a good company run by good people.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

So to summarize ... stuff it into a condom and duct tape it to a flip flop which you tie around your head with a tube sock.

If anyone asks, say the solution was recommended by committee of scientists and engineers.

Laura Ingalls

Post by Laura Ingalls »

You need to keep the sticker on the lifeproof cases or you void the warranty.

Also if you drop an Iphone in water with a lifeproof case and the cover on either the headphone jack or the charging cord is open the phone will still be toast.

I was annoyed when ds did the first. :( My nephew did the second.

vexed87

Post by vexed87 »

Possibly?: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gym-Running-J ... cwyEPdHQCQ

Personally, I don't even bother with the ziploc unless I'm cycling underwater.

My phone goes in a jersey or trouser pocket which isn't waterpoof, if it's raining heavily, I'll have my packable waterproof on over the pocket anyway, in the case that I'm wearing trousers, I'll put the phone in my messenger bag. If I need directions, I commit the route to memory before setting off which is fine for most users. I doubt unless you are a cycle courier you ever have to find unfamiliar locations often enough that committing a route to memory 2 minutes prior to setting off becomes impractical? In a pinch, you could just get out the phone at the road side.

OTCW

Post by OTCW »

jacob wrote:So to summarize ... stuff it into a condom and duct tape it to a flip flop which you tie around your head with a tube sock.

If anyone asks, say the solution was recommended by committee of scientists and engineers.
Kids these days.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

Ha, kids these days don't know how to have fun, unlike us old folks walking around in tube socks with our valuables stuffed into condoms.

Wait, that didn't come out right. :?

Tyler9000

Post by Tyler9000 »

Ha! At least we'd be able to easily identify other ERE types from a distance by the number of strange looks. ;)

As a nicer version of the tube sock idea, this seems pretty helpful: https://flipbelt.com/

slsdly

Post by slsdly »

I use running and biking as a time to clear my mind and get *away* from electronics. I would advocate turning the problem on its head and trying to figure out how to leave the phone at home :).

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE »

Tyler9000 wrote:Ha! At least we'd be able to easily identify other ERE types from a distance by the number of strange looks. ;)
yea ERE signaling! nothing like rolling up to the club on a used bicycle, inviting the ladies to a meal of home cooked lentils that were on offer this week. just kidding, brute doesn't eat carbs.