question for mac users

Move along, nothing to see here!
BRUTE

Re: question for mac users

Post by BRUTE »

they all come from china. not just jennypenny's, and not just macs.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

Looks like the flew (bad) it over the Pacific to AK and then flew it again (double bad) from AK to KY. Giant containerships have a remarkably low footprint though. Had they put it in a shipping container and sailed it over (IIRC takes about 5 days), the footprint would mostly come from the truck delivery from between the US port and your home.

GandK

Post by GandK »

I've never followed someone else's package with interest before. Let us know when it gets to you. And if you like it! :-)

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE »

interesting how it took 5 days in HK. customs?

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

I know everything comes from China, but I think I would have preferred one that was already over here instead of adding to the total number that make the trip. I also didn't think it would hopscotch through so many countries.

And to be clear, I didn't request any expedited shipping because I know that implies at least one flight. I wish there was some sort of 'low footprint' shipping option when I order things online.

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE »

brute has seen "carbon certificate" options that are supposed to offset the shipping footprint. he forgot where.

HK is basically part of China and a huge shipping hub. Taiwan is also very close and another major shipping hub (Taoyuan is their major airport) to the east of HK. therefore it makes complete sense to ship to Taiwan, it's on the way to the US from HK. in fact, many flights from the US to parts of Asia connect through Taiwan.

it's a bit like shipping stuff from Sometown, USA through LAX before Asia, it just makes logistical sense.

JamesR

Post by JamesR »

I'm guessing you didn't get the macbook from the apple store's refurbished page?

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

No. I didn't see a refurbished one that was exactly what I wanted. The difference in price wasn't that much, especially since Apple was giving away free Beats headphones with a purchase.

The learning curve is steep after using a windows machine for 10 years. I'm determined not to ask my teenagers for help getting everything set up (although they hovered over me last night eager to jump in and speed up the process). Today is Scrivener day when I transfer all of my work files. Fingers crossed.

enigmaT120

Post by enigmaT120 »

Good job, JP. Never show weakness.