Don't Travel With Cash

Move along, nothing to see here!
cmonkey

Don't Travel With Cash

Post by cmonkey »

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2016 ... /88474282/
It is a lucrative endeavor, and one that remains largely unknown outside the drug agency. DEA units assigned to patrol 15 of the nation’s busiest airports seized more than $209 million in cash from at least 5,200 people over the past decade after concluding the money was linked to drug trafficking, according to Justice Department records. Most of the money was passed on to local police departments that lend officers to assist the drug agency.

“They count on this as part of the budget."
In most cases, records show the agents gave the suspected couriers a receipt for the cash — sometimes totaling $50,000 or more, stuffed into suitcases or socks — and sent them on their way without ever charging them with a crime.

Ooofta!

ether

Re: Don't Travel With Cash

Post by ether »

If you think it's bad in the USA (where police make a good living), imagine what it's like in the developing world where some police are not paid on time and make poverty wages :twisted:

C40

Post by C40 »

I believe I've read that there is a certain threshold - maybe $5,000? They aren't going around seizing the $500 in each person's wallet here. It's strange but carrying or depositing that much cash has been considered to be near-proof that you're a criminal for many years now.

To me, the lesson from the article is to never speak to the DEA, police, etc more than required. If an agent approaches you and asks if he can speak to you or ask you questions, tell them politely but assertively that you don't have time to talk to them and walk away. If any police or agent declare that they need to search your property, always tell them politely and assertively that they don't have your permission. They will often not actually ask, or will ask in a way to try to make it sound like you must comply. This is a tactic to hide that they are asking, and that you can say no. If they say a dog is coming, you leave. You can do all this easily and quickly without turning it into a big "AM I BEING DETAINED!!??" standoff.

cmonkey

Post by cmonkey »

I wouldn't expect anyone here to walk around with 10% of their NW in cash. The part that interested me the most was that the DEA apparently has informants located through most major airlines and trains. Two things that make you stand out to these informants -

1. You buy a one way ticket.
2. You pay for the ticket in cash.

These are two things that many people might do if they are relocating (EREing anyone?) These things can get the DEA's attention and cause an intercept if they find other "interesting" information about you.

denise

Post by denise »

It's ridiculous. Try withdrawing more than $10,000 of your own money. You have to tell the bank, who tells the government, why. Nothing's really yours.

RealPerson

Post by RealPerson »

Once, while boarding a plane to South America, I had to pass a DEA agent with sniffing dog right at the door of the airplane. I assume they were not looking for drugs since I was going TO South America. The only thing making sense was a money smelling dog looking for a money runner. It was kind of weird. Luckily the dog did not smell my credit cards.

I agree with C40 to talk to a federal agent as little as possible. Just remember that your rights are quite limited when returning to the US. A border patrol agent/immigration official can do pretty much what they want when you enter the country. They can order a body cavity search without a warrant or without a serious reason. Best to stay on their good side. Once through immigration and customs you enjoy the rights offered by the constitution. At least that is my understanding of the law.