Where did you obtain your personality type?

Move along, nothing to see here!
SavingWithBabies

Where did you obtain your personality type?

Post by SavingWithBabies »

I took a test a couple days ago and came up with INFP-A. That test was free from this site:

https://www.16personalities.com/

I see the basic MBTI test seems to be $50. Is that was most are using? I'm just curious how reproducible the results are with different test providers.

daylen

Re: Where did you obtain your personality type?

Post by daylen »

Definitely not worth $50. Just read the descriptions of each type and try your best to be objective.

Dragline

Post by Dragline »

There are plenty of free ones online, such as: https://www.16personalities.com/free-personality-test

Take a few of them and see which traits come up most often. This is not really some kind of science, but just a basic classification or sorting system based on personal preferences.

FBeyer

Post by FBeyer »

There is also the IPIP NEO if you want to try that out.
My results on that we're quite interesting.
http://www.personal.psu.edu/~j5j/IPIP/

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

I obtained mine on Craigslist. I prefer to buy used.

Seriously, though, I've been taking various (free) only tests since I was 13 or 14 or so and it always comes up as INTJ. However, the better approach is to read all the descriptions and then apply some self-critical thinking as to what type(s) apply to your actual preferences.

Some people report widely different results from each and every test or think that critical reading is no different from astrology. I suspect they don't have that much insight into their own preferences or behaviour and that they confuse what they prefer with what they do or what they've been told to prefer.

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE »

brute hates the feeling when he drives his new personality off the lot and immediately experiences 30% depreciation..

@jacob:

brute believes that he has quite a bit of insight into his own preferences and behavior. still he tends to fluctuate between 2-3 different MB types. brute thinks some individuals are just "on the border" regarding some of the preferences. brute is exactly on the border for one type (can't remember which) and close to the border on another. this basically means that the tests are more often different than the same.

in conclusion, not all individuals are as obviously built as jacob is :D

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

@brute - No preference is described with an X. A weak preference is described with a lower case, e.g. INtX.

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE »

huh, brute never heard of that.

he just did the https://www.16personalities.com/free-personality-test and got:

INTP-T with clear introvert (23/77), clear intuitive (76/24), borderline feeling (48/52, this is often T), mid-prospecting (35/65) and close turbulent (43/57, whatever turbulent means).

so brute surmises he is an INXp? mostly IN. mostly.

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

Just ran the test again, and got eNtP again, like always. However, I'm veering towards more extroverted than previously, and my A was 82%. This is a great revelation, because I suffered an extreme failure of self-confidence about 7 or 8 years ago. It also correlates well with my perception that I am getting more out of the social realm than usual, yet I am feeling very self-reliant. IOW, since there is very little that I need from the social realm, it is very easy for me to get what I want from the social realm.

SavingWithBabies

Post by SavingWithBabies »

For future readers, more here too (it was hard to find with search):

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6500

Thanks for explaining. I never took it very seriously but in some threads, the types are dropped in. When reading old threads, I started to wonder if I was missing something but all clear now. And it's interesting they change or can change. Seems obvious of course as people do typically change over time.

fiby41

Post by fiby41 »

Probably from sitting alone in day care all day on Sundays with nothing to do when I was little...

GandK

Post by GandK »

I've had the official test administered twice. Once by the USAF when I separated, and once as part of premarital counseling. Both times on the official tests I was INfJ. I now would probably test INFj.

In my life, I think changes have been less about aging and more about adapting to use my strengths within my social groups (to maximize my own contribution). One example: my tendency when left to my own preferences is J, but ten years ago I married someone who is more J than I am. So I tend to operate in a different psychological space today. It's better for both of us that we don't have two anal retentives in the marriage. And I believe G has changed in similar ways to claim his mental and emotional turf and to avoid mine. But I believe if we separated we would eventually revert to our defaults.

enigmaT120

Post by enigmaT120 »

fiby41 wrote:Probably from sitting alone in day care all day on Sundays with nothing to do when I was little...
Nice.

fiby41

Post by fiby41 »

enigmaT120 wrote:
fiby41 wrote:Probably from sitting alone in day care all day on Sundays with nothing to do when I was little...
Nice.
It was a bungalow that ran daycare by the side. All parent would take their children home one by one after 4 and sometimes I would be sitting there till 8. Criterion for choosing this particular one was in which one I didn't cry all day.

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE »

brute can buy that theory. maybe I is learned? brute also has spent very extended periods of his childhood alone, in the dark. at one point brute just became really good at being alone.

fiby41

Post by fiby41 »

There was no evolutionary advantage to I for most part of our evolutionary history.

The introverts, loners, prudes get weeded out from the gene pool (that is assuming this behaviour can be influenced by genes or hereditary.)
Even if not genetic there are clear disadvantages, the one who wants his own space from the pack gets eaten first, forgotten faster, laid less etc

So you can be right, we can assume everyone is born E but learns I.

Most I must have learnt it due to lack of option/choice.

The most powerful are the spontaneous I or ambiverts, who have learnt it with purpose, so they know how to switch it on and off. They get to have the best of the both worlds as I is not a handicap to them.
These people pick up I behaviour from 1 or other of their friends, either intuitively or after seeing its advantages consciously, memetically, as opposed to genetically.