Computer-Repair vs Replace

Move along, nothing to see here!
brookline

Computer-Repair vs Replace

Post by brookline »

Hi everybody,
I own a 2009 MacBook like this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... lsrc=aw.ds. It has been running pretty well despite its age. It has a new solid state hard drive in it. However, the screen display has dimmed out. I have been to a couple repair shops & both say the problem is either the display or the motherboard. Ugh. One repair shop suggested I buy an identical older MacBook and install my hard drive in the replacement machine. It would cost me $125 for the repair & probably $150 to $200 for the replacement machine. However, the replacement machine may simply bring a new set of wear & tear problems. I am low on cash (2 kids, daycare, part-time job, spendy spouse, medical bills) & up to my neck in existing DIY projects. I had hoped to replace the machine next year when I plan to be back to full-time work. I usually try to buy quality goods that will have a long life to them and repair them as opposed to replacing them. However, I am reluctant to take on another household repair project. So, I am wondering what the best way to go is here. I want to keep the machine portable so buying a used standalone monitor that I can just plug in won't be a good solution. What do people recommend? Maybe buy a cheap Windows or Google Chrome machine? Take my chances on another older Mac?

JL13

Re: Computer-Repair vs Replace

Post by JL13 »

Sell the SSD and buy a Chromebook? Get rid of it altogether? Might be a good time to "test run" not having a laptop at all.

If sounds like you might have some higher ROI areas in your life that you could focus on rather than saving $150 on a laptop?

George the original one

Post by George the original one »

If the display has dimmed out, but is still barely readable, then it just needs a new backlight and you should be able to google a backlight repair.

If that's not feasible, I'd bite the bullet and buy the replacement computer this year instead of next year (assuming it isn't feasible/desireable to do without).

brookline

Post by brookline »

George the original one wrote:If the display has dimmed out, but is still barely readable, then it just needs a new backlight and you should be able to google a backlight repair.

If that's not feasible, I'd bite the bullet and buy the replacement computer this year instead of next year (assuming it isn't feasible/desireable to do without).
Hi George,
Thanks for your response. In case repair is impossible, what are your thoughts on Mac v. Chrome v Windows? I could spend $400~ and bring home work from an MS Office employer a lot. I also want to move into freelance technical writing (minimal graphics) in the next year.

George the original one

Post by George the original one »

I don't have any particular thoughts other than make sure the device runs the software you need and has adequate ports/connectors for the use you intend to put it to.

JamesR

Post by JamesR »

brookline wrote:It would cost me $125 for the repair & probably $150 to $200 for the replacement machine
Not sure that makes any sense to me. You should be able to pick up a replacement white macbook for closer to $100, and then all you have to do is move the SSD drive over (FREE). You could probably even pick up a 2009 Macbook Pro for $150-200 these days (those are heckuva lot faster than the white macbooks).

I would basically keep an eye on the craigslist postings for your location until you see a cheap macbook that's in good condition.

brookline

Post by brookline »

JamesR wrote:
brookline wrote:It would cost me $125 for the repair & probably $150 to $200 for the replacement machine
Not sure that makes any sense to me. You should be able to pick up a replacement white macbook for closer to $100, and then all you have to do is move the SSD drive over (FREE). You could probably even pick up a 2009 Macbook Pro for $150-200 these days (those are heckuva lot faster than the white macbooks).

I would basically keep an eye on the craigslist postings for your location until you see a cheap macbook that's in good condition.
Thanks that is an interesting option.

rfgh

Post by rfgh »

JL13

Post by JL13 »

@brookline

Someone just left a HP Pavillion dv7 laptop in my neighborbood. Looks like they removed the harddrive. Do you want it?

Forskaren

Post by Forskaren »

Have you considered connecting the computer to an external screen or TV? If you already got a screen/tv, cables, mouse and keyboard, you could use it like a stationary computer for free.

brookline

Post by brookline »

Hi,
Thanks for the tip. That is an interesting recommendation. I use a Lenovo ThinkPad laptop at work. while I dislike Microsoft Windows products but the Lenovos run well for what they are.

KevinW

Post by KevinW »

Computer repair labor is very expensive relative to parts, so IMO a computer strategy should involve never paying for labor. In 2016, I think there are two very different approaches:

1) Consider a computer to be a "no serviceable parts" consumable item; no one ever repairs anything. So buy whatever is cheapest and replace it as soon as it breaks. Good options here are Chromebooks, cheap tablets, and mooching off employer-provided laptops.

2) Full DIY: run Linux and a computer model that is known to be easy to repair. Unfortunately these days most laptops, and many desktops, are full of proprietary connectors, flimsy plastic, and glue, so you need to do some research to find a model with Linux-compatible serviceable parts. I like ThinkPad laptops, barebones/gamer desktops, and the Raspberry Pi system-on-chip builds from the "maker" community.

My $.02, ditch the Macbook and fully commit to option 1) or 2).

Ego

Post by Ego »

If I may add one additional approach to KevinW's list....

3) Go to this guy's page and see if he has done a video on the problem
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26cNHSi ... u.be&t=494

I love his rant.

steelerfan

Post by steelerfan »

I consider computers to be an amortizable component of consuming content that we require. It is a utility. We have chromebooks and frankly for most people this will be the best option whether they realize it or not. Unless you game or need specific software there is a free equivalent. My kids have google doc accounts for school so it is seamless for them. No antivirus needed as well. That said I have various linux boxes that I tinker with including raspberry pi units and also load up linux on the chromebooks via crouton. I can even ssh into a pi via the chromebook. My son in college has a gaming pc we built that runs Windows but it is rarely used anymore.

KevinW

Post by KevinW »

Ego wrote: 3) Go to this guy's page and see if he has done a video on the problem
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26cNHSi ... u.be&t=494

I love his rant.
It's a good rant, and I can endorse approach (3) for someone that already has a Mac product.

In the long run, though, going to war with an OEM that is set on making repairs difficult is going to cost a lot of blood sweat and tears. That's why, if you're going to go DIY, you might as well work with a DIY-friendly platform.