"How I Retired at 45" on SA

Move along, nothing to see here!
jennypenny

"How I Retired at 45" on SA

Post by jennypenny »

http://seekingalpha.com/article/3958725 ... nts_header

Anyone read it? There are already over 500 comments. (a lot for SA)

The best comment was someone rebutting the negative comments ... "So many assumptions, so little time.
To me, as an investor reading this, it doesn't matter what ERR does with his freedom once he has it. What matters is that he formulated and executed a plan, and now the rest of his life is work-optional. Whether he spends it on the couch with a beer, devotes himself to good causes, or goes back to work for fun and extra cash, really does not affect the legitimacy of his success story. He's in the driver's seat where most people are on a treadmill."

George the original one

Re: "How I Retired at 45" on SA

Post by George the original one »

My favorite misguided negative comment was:
"Early - how can you retire at 47 with only 647K in a taxable account? How do you pay for health care? Clearly you aren't sending your kids to a good school district if the cost of housing is only 200K."

Person obviously missed statements about expenses being only $20k and using ACA for healthcare, but the idea that quality of school is related to cost of housing is a lulu! :lol:

Laura Ingalls

Post by Laura Ingalls »

My DH is a big seeking alpha reader.
I thought maybe he wrote it. ;) But the author had a stay at home spouse and more in taxable and less in tax defered.

Good article

Tyler9000

Post by Tyler9000 »

Yeah, the comments for articles like this are always a roller coaster. My favorite (emphasis added):

"As a financial planner... I can honestly say a family of four living in the 'burbs in the Midwest takes about $120k annual to meet a 'normal', stay-up-with-the-Jones lifestyle."

To their credit, the next poster pointed out that the median family income in the US is about $53k. :roll:

I may have to engrave the quote JP singled out and hang it on my wall.

cmonkey

Post by cmonkey »

That is a fantastic looking piece of software. Much slicker than a spreadsheet.

Does anyone know of something similar? I might just have to dive back into coding and build my own...

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

Another article from the same person http://seekingalpha.com/article/3959603 ... next-crash

I only note it because some might want to follow the author since it looks like they will be addressing many issues discussed here.