Drone over poland

Move along, nothing to see here!
Did

Drone over poland

Post by Did »

My polish aussie mate sent me this to motivate me to visit/live there for a while

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMsRFO_gRpc

(He has a pad there somewhere).

Have heard from visiting Irish that 7 pints costs 5 euro so there is a geoarbitrage factor at play also....

enigmaT120

Re: Drone over poland

Post by enigmaT120 »

Yeah, but 7 pints of what?

That sounds as cheap as what I read about the Czech Republic's prices. I figure they have to be subsidized somehow.

Did

Post by Did »

Well some sort of quality local beer I would guess. If all the inputs are cheap, and the taxes are cheap, the beer will be cheap. In Australia most of the pint is tax. The rest outrageous rent and labour costs.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

I visited Poland in 1990 (school trip) (near Krakow and Nowy Targ) and a couple of times again in the early/mid 2000s (near Poznan) with the XGF. Here's my now senile impressions from back then. Since it's been some 12 years since the last trip, I suspect things could/would have changed materially. Especially when it comes to languages.

* Few people spoke English. In fact, XGF's family specifically arranged a visit so that I could meet a Polish English-speaker for a change. For the school trip we had an assigned interpreter. The second language was Russian.
* To build a 3bd/2ba house from scratch cost about $15-20k USD at the time. Alcohol was cheap.
* People ate very healthy. If you like farmer's markets, you mind will be blown away by any run of the mill Polish market (you can go daily!). Both quality and prices.
* The average BMI was a perfect 21.5! Everybody was weight/height proportional.
* In many ways it felt like Western Europe in the 1960s---not that I was alive at that time but based on what I've seen in movies. The smell of coal burning for heating and powerplants never left your nostrils. When you went into a shop, you had to ask the shopkeeper to get your groceries from behind the counter. Think general store as in "I want two 60W light bulbs and one bottle of aftershave" and you leave with a paperbag after paying $1.50. Supermarkets were still a novelty.
* Socially, it was a bit like Russia-light or Chicago-heavy. If you didn't pay attention, there was a significant risk of getting screwed over. Cars were a mixture of either Mercedes 600S and Ladas.

Did

Post by Did »

I've not been but my polish aussie mate says:

"It's a cheap place so would work well with your philosophy and you'll be surprised at the level of English proficiency these days."

Did

Post by Did »

Edit he means my thinking.... Here's krackow https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuDgyCndTJw

stayhigh

Post by stayhigh »

I was born there. Just ask me a question. It's much more western country by now. And by western standards:
- food is cheap
- alcohol is cheap
- housing is reasonable
- basic services are cheap
- transport is recently super dirty cheap, how about 5$ for domestic return flight? (as you can see, I'm still alive) :D
- taxes are high
- safety is ok
- you won't see any Ladas on the streets