H&R Block bonus for e-filing

Move along, nothing to see here!
jennypenny

H&R Block bonus for e-filing

Post by jennypenny »

I got this in an email, and I'm assuming it will work for everyone else: http://www.hrblock.com/lp/refund-bonus/ ... =939409057

"Just put some — or all — of your federal refund toward the purchase of e-gift cards from retailers like Target, Amazon.com and other retailers. The e-gift cards you purchase can be used online or in stores, and we'll add up to a 10% bonus, just for choosing H&R Block!"

Basic gets 5% and Deluxe and Premium get 10%. In addition to Target and Amazon, I saw Home Depot, REI, and Delta. Seems like a good deal. Fingers crossed that I estimated correctly this time and I'm actually getting money back so I can get some Home Depot cards.

enigmaT120

Re: H&R Block bonus for e-filing

Post by enigmaT120 »

What if I do my own taxes?

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

Yeah, this seems to result in some kind of weird arbitrage in which you increase your tax withholding to the max allowed. Then buy the software to get into the bonus program, then get your 10% gift card, and then eBay the gift card. Hmmm ...

IlliniDave

Post by IlliniDave »

jacob wrote:Yeah, this seems to result in some kind of weird arbitrage in which you increase your tax withholding to the max allowed. Then buy the software to get into the bonus program, then get your 10% gift card, and then eBay the gift card. Hmmm ...
I've heard people say they do that (overdo witholding) to maximize the amount of Ibonds they can purchase in a year. Don't see why someone wouldn't do what you suggest up to whatever limit they might be able to effectively purchase off amazon.