Star wars

Move along, nothing to see here!
Did

Star wars

Post by Did »

Me and the misses are forking over 22 Euro to see it tomorrow.

Used to go to the cinema all the time but haven't been in over 12 months when it was relatively cheap in Chiang Mau, Thailand.

But Ireland is too expensive.

Except for star wars.

cmonkey

Re: Star wars

Post by cmonkey »

The DW is in our area wind ensemble and they had their Christmas concert last Sunday. One of their last pieces was a Star Wars conglomeration and the reasoning was "December is not just about Christmas this year". I was totally confused until I learned after the fact apparently there is a new movie coming out soon? I really do live under a rock. I mean, I've decorated so well I'd hate to leave.

I would have found out in a couple months/year when the library gets it. Possibly over the holidays, as I'm sure I'll get roped into going.

vexed87

Post by vexed87 »

@cmonkey, c'mon! :lol:

The reviewers are raving, could be hype, hope it's not... would be lying if I said I wasn't looking forward to seeing it. That said, haven't booked an advance ticket, and it's going to have people queuing out of my local picture house so I'll wait till it quietens down and go with siblings when it's buy one get one free ;)

EdithKeeler

Post by EdithKeeler »

They are having a special screening starting at 4 AM in the morning--they'll show all of the Star Wars movies in order (not sure if that's in order they were made, or in order of the story arc... but whatever), culminating with the new one. I'd be lying if I said I didn't think it would be fun to go.

Of course, we have a new Star Trek coming out in July, too, and that's pretty cool.

vexed87

Post by vexed87 »

Quick tip for UK film goers, if you buy anything on comparethemarket, yes even £2 pet insurance, you get buy one get one free for a year.

Papers of Indenture

Post by Papers of Indenture »

I've never seen any of the Star Wars movies. I'm 29.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

For your random entertainment: http://decider.com/2015/12/11/the-radic ... -to-jihad/ ... there's a meme going around inspired by this (or maybe it's the other way around). I find it ironically amusing in a cynical kind of way.

I saw SW1 on the premier night between midnight and 2am. What a bummer. Before I go for SW7, I wish to know if it's materially better or whether it's just rehashing the Star Trek formula of taking a proven concept and framing it in a darker version with a well-executed but ultimately random story?!

vexed87

Post by vexed87 »

IIRC, George Lucas had the synopsis of the first 6 films when when he started filming episode IV. No doubt the scripts for I-III were written as he went along. VII-IX are recent additions following Disney's acquisition.

The books always followed the films.

JL13

Post by JL13 »

jacob wrote:Before I go for SW7, I wish to know if it's materially better or whether it's just rehashing the Star Trek formula of taking a proven concept and framing it in a darker version with a well-executed but ultimately random story?!
I saw it yesterday and I think you pretty well summed up how I felt about it. It lacked something magical.

theanimal

Post by theanimal »

My brother saw it yesterday as well. He said it was good, not great. Lots of references to the old movies in the film.

Dragline

Post by Dragline »

J_L13 wrote:
jacob wrote:Before I go for SW7, I wish to know if it's materially better or whether it's just rehashing the Star Trek formula of taking a proven concept and framing it in a darker version with a well-executed but ultimately random story?!
I saw it yesterday and I think you pretty well summed up how I felt about it. It lacked something magical.
Here's a summary of the plot: http://theweek.com/articles/594203/lets ... ce-awakens

Don't click on it if you don't want to know. ;-)

Now just try not to click. :lol:

Did

Post by Did »

FWIW, I loved it. Maybe, at 41 (duh), I was a sucker for a childhood love coming to life. But I really enjoyed it on the big screen. Clicking on the plot would be useless.

Worth every euro.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

No spoilers, people! :P

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

jennypenny wrote:No spoilers, people! :P
Yeah, I'm waiting until I can randomly watch it on someone else's cable [or not] or buy it for $0.01+$4.99 shipping on amazon, so please don't talk about this for the next five years :mrgreen:

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

You should have asked for Fandango gift cards for Christmas from the people who insist on exchanging gifts. :D

We did that last year and used them to see Avengers: Age of Ultron in one of those fancy 3D theaters. I gotta say, it was a cool way to see it.

Did

Post by Did »

There is something special about the big screen for big movies. When I lived in Canada as a younger fella there were $1 cinemas. No such thing in Oz or Ireland for that matter.

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

Did wrote:There is something special about the big screen for big movies.
Big screens make me sleepy after some 20 mins if I can't bring a book.

I know, I'm the party pooper.

Did

Post by Did »

My wife fell asleep!

cmonkey

Post by cmonkey »

jacob wrote:Big screens make me sleepy after some 20 mins if I can't bring a book.
The MIL fell asleep during the hobbit movie. It was funny, snoring and all.

As predicted I am getting roped into Star Wars this weekend. Yay for large crowds. :cry:
vexed87 wrote:VII-IX are recent additions following Disney's acquisition.
Wait, there are 2 more coming ? VIII & IX?

JL13

Post by JL13 »

@cmonkey

Where have you been? They're doing 3 postquels and 3 spin offs already in production. They are milking their investment. Also see this ridiculousness: http://tinyurl.com/op6kqww

@jacob

There's a chrome extension that will block any spoilers from showing in your browser....as long as you stay hermit you might be ok.