Finger Printing

Move along, nothing to see here!
theanimal

Finger Printing

Post by theanimal »

We have a winter outreach center that is opening up here soon. It is run by the US Fish and Wildlife Service. I am interested in volunteering. However, to volunteer you must submit finger prints. Is there any reason why I should be concerned about submitting fingerprints? Is the NSA now watching this thread? Hi guys! :P

chenda

Re: Finger Printing

Post by chenda »

Why do they want them ?

I definitely wouldn't want my fingerprints on file.

theanimal

Post by theanimal »

I don't know why they want them. I think it's pretty standard for volunteers/employees in USFWS, park service etc. Possibly entire govt. sector? I'm not too crazy about having my fingerprints on file either.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

I assume you've read the ID theft protection thread. See also http://www.digitaltrends.com/web/opm-br ... gerprints/

bradley

Post by bradley »

My fingerprint is already on file because I work for the state government. (I had to be fingerprinted before even setting foot inside a public school in any paid capacity.) As for volunteering, I'm not sure why they would ask for that.

enigmaT120

Post by enigmaT120 »

Is the fingerprinting for a back ground check?

Riggerjack

Post by Riggerjack »

I was fingerprinted when joining the army, again with my concealed pistol permit, a few times for badges at sensitive work sites. If there's a fingerprinting database (private/public/hacker), I assume I'm in it.

If there is a downside, I haven't noticed it. I don't worry about my fingerprints at crime scenes, because I create crime scenes, my security clearances wouldn't get anyone anywhere worth going to, my fingerprints aren't tied to my financial accounts.

I have a good friend who has never been fingerprinted, and turned down a few opportunities to stay that way.

In the end, it's all up to you.

peerifloori

Post by peerifloori »

I've been fingerprinted for CNA licensing, CNA job, nursing school, nursing school clinicals, for my RN license and for my current nursing job. They do like to joke at the fingerprinting office how nurses eventually lose their fingerprints (from so much handwashing).

The only issue I've had is that I got a letter this week from whatever federal agency that manages fingerprints saying that the database containing all my personal information including SSN, address, DOB and fingerprints had been hacked. Great. Thanks, guys. Way to keep it secure.

theanimal

Post by theanimal »

@enigmat- Yes, it is for a background check.

Seeing as the volunteer position is not starting at least until mid January, and I am departing for my new job in early March, I have deemed the volunteer position not worth it. I'm not giving up my fingerprints so easily for just a month or so at a volunteer position.