Shy extroverts?

Move along, nothing to see here!
subgard

Shy extroverts?

Post by subgard »

With the interest in the mbti around here, I'd like to know if anyone has any experience with shy extroversion - Someone who gets "recharged" by socializing, but is shy (or even has social anxiety or phobia).

vexed87

Re: Shy extroverts?

Post by vexed87 »

To approach it another way, being introverted is unrelated to being a shy person by default. Rather it is the assumption of the extroverts that an introvert appears to lack confidence in a group setting, when in fact they may simply have nothing to add to the discussion. As an introvert doesn't need to feel the center of attention, it is a common misconception that all introverts are shy by nature.

A shy person can be either introverted or extroverted. Both types experience the same emotions, apprehension, lack of comfort, or awkwardness especially when they are in proximity to new people, perhaps due to inexperience in a particular setting, poor self esteem or a great deal of other factors.
Last edited by vexed87 on Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:23 am, edited 2 times in total.

bradley

Post by bradley »

I'm not sure if it helps, but my husband is probably a "shy" extrovert. He feels uncomfortable around new groups of people initially, but is on fire when he gets to know them a little more. He could literally spend 24 hours partying and socializing and laughing with people. Like vexed87 said, though, shyness is unrelated to introversion or extroversion, and can vary across environments.

I'm personally more introverted (social interactions with lots of people exhaust me, and my tank of gas runs out much faster than my husband's). I'm also quiet in that I don't feel the need to say what's always on my mind or be the center of attention in most situations. Sometimes I'm shy (uncomfortable or apprehensive) around groups of people I don't really know and whom I judge to be a certain way... like say racially prejudiced or homophobic. That has to do with my own anxieties though.

GandK

Post by GandK »

I'd say my sister is a shy/anxious extravert. Like bradley's husband, she hangs back when she's uncertain. It's only once she's sure she's in a safe and supportive environment that she opens up. But she definitely gains energy from being around others, whereas just the idea of socializing can wear me out.