Warning: Rant on Tax Software

Move along, nothing to see here!
JL13

Re: Warning: Rant on Tax Software

Post by JL13 »

@JP

Sorry if I came across the wrong way, just trying to offer some help for next year. Taxes repeat every year, so any help I can provide this year could save you time next year.

$30,000 on dental?? Holy cow! Dental tourism maybe?

Selling of a rental/business property requires some horrible reporting re: passive losses, depreciation recapture. Yes definitely I can imagine how terrible that is for you.

One tip for foreign tax credit - you can omit form 1116 if you have less than (IIRC) $600 in foreign taxes paid out of a brokerage. Just plug the number right on the 1040.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

@JL--Our dental isn't that bad. It was mostly medical (we have some heavy duty medical needs here). That was higher than it's been the last few years. We've had years with $75K and $100K though, so I'm grateful it wasn't that high. That's why whenever I talk about our family budget in other threads, I say it's not including medical expenses because our medical budget dwarfs any ERE budget. Next year I won't have any real estate transactions, but I'm sure I'll find some new and interesting ways to earn money that trigger even more forms.

Hey, I just realized the car I bought is a hybrid. Can I get a credit for owning one of those? That would be a new one for me. :D

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

jennypenny wrote:Hey, I just realized the car I bought is a hybrid. Can I get a credit for owning one of those? That would be a new one for me. :D
You can get credit for buying a new one if it qualifies.

https://www.irs.gov/instructions/i8910/ch01.html

Dragline

Post by Dragline »

jennypenny wrote:I'm *this close* Dragline ... so tempting.
I do it every year . . .

JL13

Post by JL13 »

You're both making me rethink this rental property purchase. :(

bryan

Post by bryan »

Probably going to go ahead and file an extension.. waiting on an excess contribution to be withdrawn from a slooow HSA provider.

Any idea when turbo tax goes on sale after the deadline? :)

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

jacob wrote:You can get credit for buying a new one if it qualifies.
It's only new to me. It's an '06 Highlander. I'd lose my street cred around here if I bought anything newer.

Dragline

Post by Dragline »

Highlander? "There Can Be Only One!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOFsG6_r4wo

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

Triple digits baby (including the worksheets), but I'm done!

No extension for me. I'm going out of town and the last thing I wanted was to come back to this mess. I've learned my lesson the hard way--I'm doing the paperwork quarterly from now on so I don't have to muck around with it all at once. That was my biggest mistake this year.

George the original one

Post by George the original one »

Ooo, this is a game I can play, too!

90 pages for Fed and 18 pages for Oregon (both including worksheets).

bryan

Post by bryan »

bryan wrote:did both turbo tax and tax act this year (promise I'm not a masochist, though it's no doubt intuit is a sadist). TT actually found me a few hundred extra dollars. Kind of pisses me off they don't match.
Filed with TurboTax this past week. $120. $87 more than TaxAct, but in the end I come out $142 ahead. Spent an extra hour before that trying to find the discrepancy but failed. I have come to consider the QA style UI to actually be a bit of vendor lock in in that I can't just look at the forms or worksheets to compare between vendors (or free paper).

In the end, HSA and IRAs have been a pain for me in 2015 (two excess contributions to two different HSAs; excess contribution to Roth rechar to Traditional). Seems both websites don't handle it very easily (asking ambiguous, too simple questions).

Will either go with TaxAct or by hand for 2016.

RealPerson

Post by RealPerson »

Chad wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2016 6:09 pm
RealPerson wrote:
Chad wrote:@almostthere
You can get most popular tax software for about $20 during a promotion/sale. That's what I paid for mine this year. This will include federal and one state return. If you want it even cheaper, or you missed the sale, just file an extension and buy the software in August when they are desperately trying to unload it. I have done it a couple times.
That is a good idea. Just remember that filling an extension does not mean you can extend the tax payment itself. Make sure the delay does not cause penalties and interest.
Thanks, I know. I'm a former accountant. :D
I am an expert in giving advice to people who know better than me 😁.