ERE Recipes

Move along, nothing to see here!
retiregeek

ERE Recipes

Post by retiregeek »

Since one of my passions is cooking, and since cooking your own food is an awesome way to improve your health while cutting down on expenses, I cook dinner for me & my wife almost every night. I will try to list a few recipes here if there is interest from the community (so please give me some feedback if it's of interest).

Some constraints on my recipes:
- I am ostro-vegan (vegan who eats bivalvia), so I will only list plant-based recipes with the exception of added bivalvia like mussels
- For the sake of EREbility I will only list recipes that cost less than €2/person to make. Prices obviously may vary by country, region and season.
- No junk food, only healthy, nutritious stuff

Obviously if you have more ERE recipes, I'd love to read them here!

retiregeek

Re: ERE Recipes

Post by retiregeek »

Tahine and green salad

This recipe is a classic at our place, it contains tons of good fats from the sesame, protein, vitamins, iron, and fiber. It's also super easy to make and cheap.

Tahine:
  • 1 cup sesame seeds
  • 1 cup water
  • 3 garlic cloves (less if you don't like strong taste of garlic)
  • juice of 1 medium-size lemon
  • salt & pepper to taste
  1. On a pre-heated pan (without oil), roast the sesame seeds for 2-3 minutes until they start to brown
  2. Mix all the ingredients in a strong food blender until the paste is white and semi-liquid
  3. Taste and add water/lemon/salt/pepepr if missing
Salad:
I normally mix different leafy greens such as Kale, Spinach, Arugula, Lettuce, etc. (make sure you have a good amount of dark leafy greens, they are the healthiest of the bunch). I then add lemon juice left over from the tahine, olive oil, salt, pepper and sometimes balsamic vinegar.

This dinner is awesome by itself, but I'd sometimes add bread if I'm feeling super hungry.

Scott 2

Post by Scott 2 »

You forgot the lentils :D

walker

Post by walker »

Homemade tahini sounds really good and healthy. I'll have to try that.

LOL @Scott 2 -- can't have too many lentil recipes. I like them cooked with carrots and tossed with homemade lemon vinaigrette, mint and thyme from the windowsill garden, and a bit of feta. Add a poached egg if feeling decadent.

Here's my favorite recipe for spicy chickpeas, more or less from Madhur Jaffrey's World of the East Vegetarian Cooking:

- 2 lbs dried chickpeas, cooked, or 6 14-oz cans (rinsed and drained)
- 3-4 lbs chopped tomatoes or 3-4 14-oz cans diced tomatoes
- 2 onions, diced
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced (optional)
- 4 tablespoons mild-flavored oil like canola or corn
- 1-3 tablespoons each of mustard seeds, cumin seeds, ground cumin, and ground turmeric (depending on how much you like spices)
- Cayenne powder to taste - about 1-2 tablespoons
- Amchoor powder (available at Indian stores) or juice of 2 lemons
- Garam masala (optional, available at Indian stores)

1. Cook the onions in the oil on medium high heat, stirring every few minutes, until they start to turn a rich brown color.
2. Add the mustard seeds and cumin seeds and cook, stirring every few minutes, till they start to pop.
3. Add the garlic if desired and cook for 2-3 more minutes.
4. Add the ground cumin and ground turmeric and cook for 2-3 more minutes.
5. Add the tomatoes and chickpeas and cook for about 20 minutes so that some of the excess water from the tomatoes boils off and the mixture has the consistency of a stew or thick sauce.
6. Stir in the cayenne, amchoor or lemon, and garam masala. Cook for 5 more minutes.
7. Optional: add frozen spinach or green beans and cook for another 5-10 minutes. Or add more water or tomatoes to make this more of a soup. Serve over rice, potatoes, quinoa, kale, bread, pasta or just eat out of the pot. Can be frozen for 6 months.

bradley

Post by bradley »

I'm definitely into hearing people's recipes. I'm also vegan. I just looked into ostro-veganism now that you mentioned it -- I didn't even know about that! Definitely something to consider further).

Taco salad - vegan, serves 2, around 2.50 USD per person

Ingredients
  • 4 cups lettuce, chopped
  • 1 cup beans, drained and rinsed
  • 2 small tomatoes, chopped
  • 1/2 cup corn
  • 2 scallions chopped
  • 1 cup tortilla chips
  • *optional: you can add salsa, cucumber, jalapeño, etc. for extra tastiness
Directions: Mix the ingredients in a large bowl. Eat immediately, maybe with some extra tortilla chips on the side. Simple (and delicious!)

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

retiregeek

Post by retiregeek »

Thanks! I was looking for something like this but couldn't find it

retiregeek

Post by retiregeek »

bradley wrote: I'm also vegan. I just looked into ostro-veganism now that you mentioned it -- I didn't even know about that! Definitely something to consider further).
Definitely check out this blog post, http://sentientist.org/2013/05/20/the-e ... d-mussels/ its two parts explain well why I chose to be ostro-vegan after around 4 years of strictly vegan

Ego

Post by Ego »

The organic market had huge bundles of kale for IDR 10000 (.73 cents) so I bought a bunch, along with garlic IDR 1000 (7 cents), tofu IDR 1500 (11 cents), tempeh IDR 1500 (11 cents), a purple onion IDR 5000 (37 cents), a tomato IDR500 (3.5 cents), one avocado (forgot the price, about a dollar) and a package of 12 tortillas IDR 24000 ($1.75).

Violà. Steamed kale with scrambled tofu and tempeh. Guacamole on the side.

GandK

Post by GandK »

Chili is one of the easiest recipes. Find a chili recipe that you love and you can make good meals in bulk that keep in both the fridge and the freezer extremely well. You can us it as a soup, or as a sauce/topping for other foods (I love hot chili over salad greens with a handful of corn chips for a DIY "taco salad"... more taco salad, LOL).

This is my favorite base chili recipe:

Food.com - Best Bowl of Chili

Because I'm a vegetarian, I substitute beans for the beef. (I like to use a 50/50 mix of black beans and lentils for meat replacement purposes; 1 cup of mixed dry beans = 1 pound of ground beef in pretty much any recipe.) I also skip the oregano, double the cayenne, and use brown sugar instead of Splenda. Be sure to use dark beer with this recipe... don't just grab a random can of Bud Light because you happen to have it left over from your last round of tailgating. The beer needs to be dark.

If you don't use meat, this chili will keep in the fridge for a whole week. If you do use meat, you have 3 days to use/freeze.

Erik August Johnson's series of articles on Eating Well for $35/Week is also worth a read.

GandK

Post by GandK »

My favorite vegan blogger posted this recipe today, which could easily be tweaked a little to be more cost-conscious:

Golden Red Lentil Dal with Cilantro-Speckled Basmati