Halloween Candy

Move along, nothing to see here!
photoguy

Post by photoguy »

Halloween is coming up and I usually buy candy/treats for the neighborhood kids. Yes I know candy is bad, but this was always an event that I personally enjoyed growing up. However, some of my friends have told me that many parents actually throw away the candy! I'd never considered this possibility before and it seems like a giant waste. Especially since we usually buy the nicer stuff (mini chocolate bars etc).
So if you are a parent do you throw away the candy? I don't mind buying the candy but if it is just going to get thrown away, I'm not sure if we will continue participating.

George the original one

Post by George the original one »

I've heard of that behavior, but don't actually know anyone who practices it. Mostly it seems parents don't let their kids trick-or-treat any more... back in the '70s, it used to be hundreds of kids that would be out there, but today we're lucky to see a dozen.
I think this is a real shame because it speaks to how many parents are scared about what can happen. From christian groups opposed to witchcraft right back to the razor-blades-in-apples hoaxes. So instead of facing the fears, people are hiding from them.

Robert Muir

Post by Robert Muir »

I have a hard time believing there are many parents who would allow their child to go trick-or-treating, where the primary goal is to score fistfuls of candy, and then take the candy from the child and throw it away.

HSpencer

Post by HSpencer »

No problem where I live, but then everyone knows everyone, and no kids are going to any strangers homes (there are hardly any strangers).
In a city, well that would be different. We have had no Halloween problems in 35 years of my living here. Parents usually always accompany the kids as well, and most everyone is invited in for a while to have a Hot Chocolate or soft drink.
Just good people (99.999999%) and great neighbors (same %).

S

Post by S »

I'm not a parent, but I have siblings who still trick or treat. They get to keep all their candy. I lived in an in-town neighborhood in Atlanta the last time I had a house and we still had a lot of kids stopping by. Usually you'll get a family of parents/children together or a large group of kids with the older ones taking care of the young ones. It probably varies from neighborhood to neighborhood. I'm going to miss not giving out candy this year. Halloween is my favorite holiday!

photoguy

Post by photoguy »

Thanks for your thoughts. I think it might be the area I'm in, as it seems the biggest reason for folks I know throwing out the candy is mainly people don't want their kids eating so much junk.

Melissa

Post by Melissa »

I wouldn't think of throwing away the candy, but I DO take a lot of it away. When we get home, the bag gets dumped on the table so I can check it for anything that looks tampered which does end up in the trash. She gets to pick 10 of her favorites out to eat whenever she wants, even if its all at one time. The rest of it goes into the freezer to be metered out one every few days.

I much prefer the fun sizes anyway, that way she can have some sweets without trying to eat a whole candy bar at once.

Kevin M

Post by Kevin M »

No way! Although we did just throw out last year's leftover Halloween candy does that count? I took my son out last year with a bunch of my wife's younger cousins and our dog. We had just moved to the neighborhood but had no reason to think anything bad would happen.
Like George alluded to, I think the media blows a lot of the potential bad things that can happen way out of proportion. Instead of getting out and meeting people, everyone is afraid and stays home or goes to the mall to trick or treat.