Silent agreement

Move along, nothing to see here!
methix

Post by methix »

Over at the Yakezie post Jacob you said, "It depends. Sometimes, even now getting close to three years, I write a post and it gets no comments and I wonder whether this is it or whether I lost it."
In my job as a webmaster I have typically found that when a change that effects your audience is made, feedback is non-proportional. If the change is well received you may receive a few appreciative comments, but odds are no one will say anything at all. Make a change that is unfavorable, and commenter turn up everywhere.
So beyond your "vocal" loyal supporters, many of us a just happy to quietly nod in agreement. When you "lose it" or strike a nerve then you'll get some feedback. That's just my experience though.

Maus

Post by Maus »

And to be fair, Jacob posted (can't remember when) that he didn't/doesn't see much value in the "Great post!" type of comment. So, the vibe on ERE is going to favor more "Yes, but..." or "No. Here's why..." I think he expresses this reality when he acknowledges that his audience has become more of a community. I, for one, am glad that's the case. I don't think I've had an opportunity to learn how science-oriented folks, and especially engineers, think in such numbers since I left college. And I miss that uber-rationale style.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

I'd say (and I probably speak for many other bloggers as well) that if you like a post but don't have anything to comment, click on one of the "social networking" buttons like google buzz or similar.
This gives the blogger sufficient feedback.
Otherwise it's hard to gauge the reception. There are too many possible explanations: didn't find it relevant, didn't get it, liked it, didn't like it, etc.

AlexOliver

Post by AlexOliver »

What if you don't have any social networks? I have no facebook, twitter, google buzz, etc.

gibberade

Post by gibberade »

Props to you AlexOliver! Don't need that stuff in my opinion.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

@AlexOliver - Do you have some bongo drums or a megaphone?

aquadump

Post by aquadump »

@jacob LOL. or, maybe an ERE bluesmobile

Kevin M

Post by Kevin M »

Perhaps you should add a +/- voting button like Scott Adam's (Dilbert guy) blog. All it takes is one click to show approval. I don't do any of the social stuff either except Facebook.

Q

Post by Q »

Social huh?