Keeping Hands Warm Indoors?

Move along, nothing to see here!
jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

These fingerless gloves apparently plug into your USB port to heat your hands. There were several kinds on amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/Stripe-Pattern-Fi ... d_sim_sg_3

RichinIL

Post by RichinIL »

I think Jacob's advice is the best among these. The best way to keep hands warm is to layer on clothing elsewhere so your body doesn't shunt blood away from your extremities. Back when I was working, on dry days I regularly went barehanded all day down to about 20F just by dressing my head and body warmly. If you dress warmly to the point of almost sweating you'd probably be able to go barehanded down to about 0F if you have normal circulation because your body will send hot blood to your hands.
Better thermal long underwear and a warmer hat would be my first recommendations. Just wearing gloves doesn't do much to stop the problem of your body shunting blood away from its extremities.

BeyondtheWrap

Post by BeyondtheWrap »

@RichinIL:
The best way to keep hands warm is to layer on clothing elsewhere so your body doesn't shunt blood away from your extremities. Back when I was working, on dry days I regularly went barehanded all day down to about 20F just by dressing my head and body warmly. If you dress warmly to the point of almost sweating you'd probably be able to go barehanded down to about 0F if you have normal circulation because your body will send hot blood to your hands.

Walking outside during winter, I often find myself in the situation where I am dressed warmly and sweating, yet my hands feel like ice. Clearly this strategy does not work for me. I guess I don't have "normal circulation" (actually I know I don't). Maybe Spartan_Warrior doesn't either?

Spartan_Warrior

Post by Spartan_Warrior »

I can't say for sure, but I don't think I have any serious circulation issues. It's possible I should dress more warmly--I don't use thermal long underwear, a hat, etc. But I really think the problem is sitting stationary. If I'm up and working I don't experience any problems.
For the record, Jennypenny's sock idea has been helping. As for the dryness, I've found that using cooler water to wash my dishes has made a difference there. (The best solution would probably be dish washing gloves.)

BeyondtheWrap

Post by BeyondtheWrap »

Caffeine messes with your circulation and help make extremities cold.
True, I was told this by the vascular surgeon I saw about my cold extremities. Chocolate is another one.

JamesR

Post by JamesR »

I decided to create a new topic as a response to the original post

viewtopic.php?t=3543

jennypenny

Re: Keeping Hands Warm Indoors?

Post by jennypenny »

Free crochet pattern for fingerless hand warmers ... http://www.cherryheart.co.uk/2013/06/stripy-mitts.html

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

George the original one

Post by George the original one »

DW has cranked out many pairs of fingerless gloves in the past few years. Think she stayed away from the ones with buttons, though. If she's been tempted by scale-mail, she hasn't let on yet, LOL.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

Wow, I'm really out of touch. I didn't know scale mail was a thing.

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

@jp - Of course it's a thing. DW is taking orders now :)

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

Not to sound stupid, but why is it a thing? They don't look warm, so they must be for something else??

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

Fighting orcs! Obviously.