Discreet portfolio monitoring application

Move along, nothing to see here!
GandK

Post by GandK »

I wanted to be able to check my portfolio's progress from my office computer without sending any of my private credentials over my company network, and without ever sending or displaying my account balance. I recently wrote a Windows app that accomplishes this. You specify in the app.config file which securities you own and how many shares of each, as well as what percentage of your portfolio is in cash. The app then checks stocks/funds anonymously via Google Finance, tells you how much your portfolio is up/down for the day, and how you're doing compared to the S&P 500.
I don't know whether anyone else would have need of such a thing, but if you think you'd use it, PM me and I'll send you a copy.
Edit: I suppose this would also come in handy if you were monitoring your portfolio over public WiFi.

Obadobadope

Post by Obadobadope »

Check out the yahoo group SMF_Addin too.
It's a free excel add-in that will retrieve nearly any data point that's included on Google Finance, Yahoo Finance, MSN Money, ADVFN, Morningstar, Zacks, and more!

JohnnyH

Post by JohnnyH »

How is this different from just a GoogleDoc sheet with the quote function?

GandK

Post by GandK »

In order to use Google Docs, you have to use your Google credentials. I wanted a way around that. I'm querying Google Finance's API anonymously to get quotes, so I'm retrieving the data and calculating the account balance change without ever having to give my user ID and password.

JohnnyH

Post by JohnnyH »

You do not want to run your logins through your employer's network?
If you create the GoogleDoc at home, you can give access to "anyone with the link" which wouldn't require logging in (I think).