Laptops that last?

Move along, nothing to see here!
riparian

Post by riparian »

I'm a chronic cheap laptop buyer. They last like three years and then the motherboards fry, the memory eats itself, the hard drives go bad, or they get so outdated that I can't run video editing software.
What do you folks have? My priorities are processor speed (video making) and battery life (very limited electricity).

KevinW

Post by KevinW »

Best I've seen are ThinkPads, first by IBM now by Lenovo. They cost more up front but are durable, and are sold in large quantities so you can get replacement parts on eBay.

Rex

Post by Rex »

I also have to vote for ThinkPads; stay away from the Edge series, though, I've heard iffy things.

Emanuel

Post by Emanuel »

My vote also goes for ThinkPad. They are tough and rugged. Had one T400 at work for two years. The red button is a cool feature for VI/VIM lovers! This neglected feature is what makes ThinkPads worth it :)

rcamp

Post by rcamp »

Apple and lenovo. In that order. on a generic pc there are many video editing solutions that range from junk to middling. apple here, IMHO, wins hands down. battery life is relative ( as non liner editing is not battery friendly ). finally, if your tied to non apple based os's - apples laptops can boot windows, linux etc in addition to OSX
I still have and use daily a 4.5 yr old 1st gen apple macbook pro, amongst my stable of computers.
Given this audience - cheap is not a high value. Durability and use is. So, FWIW I'd lean Apple

flyer2009

Post by flyer2009 »

I've never been able to keep a laptop more than 4 years. Most of the time they become unable to keep up with the Web content (I wish I could turn off adobe flash but then videos and other things don't run), can't run newer software, lose update support, hard drives get filled up, or they simply become worn out (touchpad, display hinges, etc).
So, my target has been 4 years and my Dells and HPs have all met that goal except for the battery. Batteries I seem to go through every 2-3 years. I imagine most major manufacturers' laptops should keep at least 4 years. One could also pay a bit more upfront to buy a 3 year warranty and use Amex to make the purchase and gain 1 extra year of warranty from Amex as a side benefit.
I have somewhat higher expectations of tablets. The apps generally don't require particularly beefy hardware (at least they haven't so far) and there are no moving parts. I do think the internal batteries will probably need to be replaced after a few years.

dot_com_vet

Post by dot_com_vet »

Thinkpad T Series is the gold standard. IBM still sells them refurbished online. They are reconditioned like new and deeply discounted. With Ubuntu installed, that are a joy to use. I bought one last week, and they were including a one year warranty free.
If you're technically inclined and living the ERE lifestyle, I do not like Apple since they are generally not serviceable.

tzxn3

Post by tzxn3 »

Does anyone know where I can buy laptops that are likely to last a long time, but come without an OS preinstalled? ThinkPad looks good, but they seem to come with Windows preloaded, and no other options, which to me is just a total waste of money.

Chad

Post by Chad »

I will second the ThinkPads. I have used them at work for years and they seem to take some abuse. Of course, like any other computer in 4 years they will be outdated. The red mouse control button is also awesome, as touchpads are virtually useless.
If you don't trully need mobility, but just get the laptop because you like to work in bed or just not at a desk you may want to consider a desktop. If you buy a one with a decent motherboard you could probably make it last double the laptop, as you could swap in a new processor in a few years. This would save money on the front end and the upgrade.
Also, SSD drives instead of traditional hard drives are more reliable, but expensive. However, the traditional drives will probably continue going up in price as the factory that makes 80% of the spindle motors (Thailand) is underwater. They estimate it may take 12 months to get it back up and running.
@bigato

I have yet to see a netbook that is worth much. If you need the keyboard then buy an older model or a refurbished one, as you obviously won't care if the tech is dated or you wouldn't be looking for a netbook. Or, if all you want to do is surf the web and only need to type a few sentences now and then get a tablet. Heck, even the Kindle Fire surfs the net better than most netbooks.

rcamp

Post by rcamp »

@bigato : Consider the "ultra books" that are coming online recently - Better specs, very portable. IMHO, many, not all, netbooks have some killer compromise that throws me off ( weird screen resolution, crappy trackpad ) - especially the early ones - borderline unusable.
@tzxn3 : Buying with no OS or free OS generally means craiglist/local/ebay and used. When I was big into selling used stuff, I generally loaded up the RedHat / Ubuntu at the time to demo all the features working. IBM "might" have reconditioned Thinkpads sans OS - but I've never looked. > scratch that -- all reconditioned thinkpads have Windows something loaded <. If dealing local you could always ask for some discount since you dont need Windows XXX ( the seller could then reuse the key - and your both happy )
@dot_com_vet : All laptops can be a pain to service :)
Finally I would second Chad's suggestion of a desktop - especially down to the mini-ITX form factor. You control all the variables, using mostly COTS parts. As you get down to miniATX and miniITX size, the size isnt that inconvenient and you have options not available in laptops ( changing CPU/RAM, storage and video cards at whim or budget )

dotdot

Post by dotdot »

Another vote for Apple here...I have a MacBook Pro (Core 2 Duo) coming up on 6 years of daily use. I've replaced the keyboard (spilled a drink on it), replaced one of the internal boards (related to the drink incident, most likely), and upgraded the hard drive from (80GB to 500GB for increased storage, it still worked).
I don't know how the newer models are, but it has been easy to diagnose and get parts for (here's a source, for example: www.ifixit.com ). I can boot into windows when I need to and have been very pleased all around.

rcamp

Post by rcamp »

@dotdot : Heh, your posting of your details ( I have a Core Duo, not Core 2 ) made me check my purchase date on the 15" MBP ... I bought it May 2,2006. So, its been working 5.5+ years, rather than 4.5. Funny.
It can still edit HD video :)
Original disk, memory, LCD. I do recall replacing the main board under warranty about a year in. As predictable, I replaced the battery last year from OWC ( so delayed I ended up with a 40% discount ).
Ok, Apple first vote, Thinkpad second.
Discuss amongst yourselves ;)

KevinW

Post by KevinW »

If you buy a computer with Windows preinstalled and never use it, it is possible, though difficult, to get a refund: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_refund

DVDend

Post by DVDend »

I have been happy with Toughbook: no moving parts (passive cooling), water resistant (can be hosed from any angle), day light viewable screen, and construction that will outlive me. Still, it is hard to stay relevant with computer that is much older than 5 years so the extra spend on "quality" may no be of real benefit...

riparian

Post by riparian »

Why don't they make laptops where you can swap out the processor or add another stick of memory?

Rex

Post by Rex »

A good chunk of laptop cases allow for adding another stick of RAM, just sometimes, depending on the layout of the motherboard, you have to remove the keyboard. Beyond that, I don't know of many cases that allow for access to the CPU, aside from partial disassembly; with that said, I don't know if that last statement is true of laptops today, but it was mostly true a couple years ago.

riparian

Post by riparian »

So, how long do thinkpads last?

dot_com_vet

Post by dot_com_vet »

Riparian, I just retired a T43, build date was 2005. It's almost like new still, but I need something more powerful for multimedia.

flyer2009

Post by flyer2009 »

"Why don't they make laptops where you can swap out the processor or add another stick of memory? "
The technologies develop too fast to maintain the same processor footprint. Also, your laptop motherboard will generally have a video chip and other supporting components that the industry deems obsolete after a few years and they will either be incompatible with the new processors or will not perform properly with them. Memory and hard drive are about the only things you can upgrade but it is usually not worth it after 3-4 years. I tend to buy $400-500 laptops and turn them over every 4 years, then along with the latest components I get a bigger hard drive, more memory, and a fresh battery.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

I have an apple powerbook from 2004(!)
The hardware has literally outlasted the software.
It's based on a powerpc chip which is not supported beyond OSX 10.5.8 and unfortunately the newest version of, say, firefox, no longer runs on 10.5. Maybe it's possible to keep it running by switching it over to linux.
PS: I did manage to destroy the original HD but had it replaced under an extended warranty. Since then I've been careful about shutting the laptop down (not just sleep) whenever I've transported it around.
PPS: The PSU eventually died (cable frayed) and was replaced. I'm on my THIRD battery.
PPPS: Apparently these things still list for $299 on ebay. I paid 1100 or 1300 or something.