One of my favourite topics - lol

Move along, nothing to see here!
aussierogue

Post by aussierogue »

contrary to popular belief i an not anti capitalist or anti rich. I am both! But i do think poorer people get a bad rap and i guess this article follows on from a previous thread about wlefare cheats, and who are the real cheats in society..
needless to say its very interesting reading....and maybe backs up some of the arguements previously made. And btw i promise not to mention this topic again after this thread - haha..
http://www.theage.com.au/executive-styl ... 1tzn7.html

LonerMatt

Post by LonerMatt »

A little simplistic, I find.
I don't know much about demographic wide things, but I've found a lot of parents in my area in poverty are quite happy to take what they can get.
Way too simplistic, and usually token efforts.

JohnnyH

Post by JohnnyH »

How can anyone who wants to earn ERE be anti-capitalism?... Sure, many rich corporate/govt types are horribly immoral. But the problem is not the free market but the lack of it. The role of govt is to ensure fair market, but clearly this cannot work when monopolies own the congress/executive.
My main problem with the welfare and tax system is that it actively encourages people to not be productive... If I move from 40 hrs/wk full time to 20 hrs/wk part time, my taxes are slashed by well over 50%... War on upward mobility.

Mo

Post by Mo »

Interesting.
The specifics aren't given in the link, but if we were to imagine that there are 100 times as many poor as rich (just depends how one defines poor and rich, but if we define it as top 1%, there are 99x more people not in the top 1%).... and if a rich person is 2x more likely to cheat, we still end up with 50 poor cheaters for every 1 rich cheater.
I don't think the "real cheats" in society can be defined by income or assets-- to me it's defined by if the person cheats or not, regardless of income or assets.