deleted

Move along, nothing to see here!
George the other one

Post by George the other one »

wget piped to a pdf-er?
http://darrenknewton.com/blog/2011/10/3 ... rt-to-pdf/
Edit: Actually, if no one knows of a web service that will already do this I'll consider programming it.

aussierogue

Post by aussierogue »

are you sure jacob would apreciate that...turning his contents into an e-book eventhough for your own purposes could be breaching copyright of this site...

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

I'd rather not have anything floating around out there (and I do have the rights). You can copy it for your own purposes though. There's no "browser"-police checking how people read it.
However do consider the potential consequences. As far as I remember, someone ripped some of the The Simple Dollar's freely available work and put it for sale on kindle. A very uncool thing to do.
Consider that once something becomes easy, someone is going to be immoral with it and it only takes one person.

George the other one

Post by George the other one »

So this actually looks like a decent skill to know (computer-wise). Basically knowing how to do this will let you turn any website into an off-line web page. As per Jacobs request there will be no download provided and I'll be speaking in generalities for the rest of the time. Yes, you can use this to create an ERE book, but you could also use it to create an <insert favorite website here> book too. One huge positive that I can see is that you can read on an e-ink screen instead of a lcd which is way easier on the eyes.
@Jacob. I looked and it is already trivial to do what the original poster requested. It is just a wget command followed by a concatenate command followed by using an html-to-pdf converter. Also, I did make a kindle version of the ERE blog for personal use (and to test out the method below for creating ebooks) and the result was surprisingly good. Actually, it was borderline professional if I did a little bit of post-processing to remove the right-hand sidebar. Even without the post-processing the readability and navigability is pretty darn good. Let me know if you want it and I'll email it to you.
---------------------------
Anyhow, here is what I did:
First, I downloaded an entire website. http://lmgtfy.com/?q=mirror+a+website
Second, I created a Table Of Contents referencing all the web pages that I wanted to include in the ebook. http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq.htm ... ific-order
Third, I installed Calibre on my computer. http://calibre-ebook.com/
Lastly, I added the table of contents created in step two to Calibre as a book, set the meta-data, and then converted it to my desired ebook format.
And boom goes the dynamite, we have a static ebook of a website.
Tips: Download all the web pages to a single directory and then pipe a list of all the directory's files into your Table Of Contents file for the win. Otherwise you will be typing all night. ;-)

slacker

Post by slacker »

@jacob: how about an update post,now that it's been some time? You must have something to say (no?)..about your job..chicago (correct?), change in living expenses,or just the weather maybe...only kidding ;)
And btw..thanks for the link to Mr.Mustache. At first I was (very) skeptical, but I've read every post on that blog now and I must say it's very educating. Not nearly as extreme, but surprisingly, very effective. Of course, it helps that there's way more money in Mr.Mustache's 'stash than can be stuffed into the ERE's 13 pairs of black socks ;)

akratic

Post by akratic »

I manually epub'd the ERE blog myself when I read through it for the first time a few years ago. I wrote a custom ruby script to do it. George, your method seems a lot easier, thanks.
I was traveling around Peru at the time with limited internet access. I had a few blogs on my nook, including ERE and obadobadope. I felt pretty badass, but had no one to share the blog => epub idea with.

Stahlmann

Re: Download the entire forum and posts and convert to epub or PDF

Post by Stahlmann »

Can anyone share final EPUB (or PDF)?
Or just PM me, please.
Thanks in advance.

For your information:
I've probably read the most important entries from blog, but after each visit on ERE site I have feeling I've lost something.

Is it good to continue with blog entries when I have read book?

fiby41

Re:

Post by fiby41 »

henders wrote:I have a Sony PRS T1 ebook reader. I was wondering if there's a way to download the entire forum and all of Jacob's posts and convert it in epub or PDF format.
Thanks.
Yes there is a way. Last time I told the forum about it and shared the copy my post got deleted.

So I won't be tellling anyone expect the 4 people who download it the last time about it.

enigmaT120

Re: Download the entire forum and posts and convert to epub or PDF

Post by enigmaT120 »

Jacob said that if I had read the ERE book, I don't need the blog so I have read very little of it.