Book: Hello Laziness: The Art & Importance of Doing the Least Possible at Work

Move along, nothing to see here!
palmera

Post by palmera »

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5698558/ns/ ... new-bible/
Some of you get all up in arms at the thought of being anything BUT "super-productive" and "over-achieving" in the workplace.
I've been there and in 2011, I decidedly unsubscribed to this dictum. I've decided to re-direct my overachieving, type A personality to my personal projects, which I hope to grow substantially over the next few years.
Perhaps it was relatively easy for me to become a cubicle slacker/self-aware loser (Gervais Principle) because my first work experience WAS in France. Trust me, they aren't exaggerating when they call France a bunch of slackers. By the time I came back from France and accepted my first Real Job at a Fortune 500 corporation, it would take a good year of brainwashing to turn me back into the workaholic that my North American upbringing conditioned me to be.
Anyway, I'm sneaking out of work in a bit to go track down this book. Though I already give the author props for being brave enough to tell the truth about corporate drudgery and politics (again, I reference similarities to Gervais). I'll report back with a proper review once I obtain a copy.

LiquidSapphire

Post by LiquidSapphire »

OMG brilliant! Can't wait to see what you think.

Spartan_Warrior

Post by Spartan_Warrior »

Based on the article, the book (and its author) sound pretty swell to me. I couldn't agree more with the idea of redirecting your energy to personal projects and giving as little of it to paid employment as possible*. Work is a negotiation, just like any other. Your employer only wants to get as much from you as they can for as little as possible in return. I try to operate by the exact same mentality.
*Obviously this is not applicable where personal interests and work overlap, e.g. the mythical "dream job" where you "love what you do" and all that. However, I don't believe such a thing exists (for me).

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

This is the principal agent problem for a salaried position, that is, how to align the interests of your employees with your own. I think it's hard to do with a fixed salary. If all employees get a salary, it comes down to performance reviews, resumes, and personal recommendations, which often depend on politics.
It's usually possible to build a compensation model that's better than "you get a fixed sum every month regardless" but in all cases, clever employees will simply start adapting to the reality of the model instead of the intention of the model.

Spartan_Warrior

Post by Spartan_Warrior »

@Jacob: In layman's terms, what you are describing is better known as the "Peter Gibbons Principle":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2_Yi-1R ... re=related
:)

palmera

Post by palmera »

ahahaha thanks Spartan_Warrior, I'm including that clip in my financial anarchist manifesto!
LS, I'm special ordering the French version AND the English translation of the book (because I heard so-so things about the translation, but non-Frenchies wouldn't notice). When I finish reading it I'll mail it to you.
Then you can mail it to bluepearl. We'll become the ERE Sisterhood of the Traveling Book.
Okay, I need to go to bed.

LiquidSapphire

Post by LiquidSapphire »

That would be great! What a cool idea. Happy to pass along to BluePearl too. I'd love to return the favor, though my book collection is widely decimated, I do have 6 Paperbackswap credits, happy to get you anything you want on that site.

george

Post by george »

Unfortunately the I don't care video is so true.
Have always thought when people get to the point where they don't care, they fit into the office politics so much better, and are much happier.
I can't live that way, which is why I'm out of the office.
It seems so wrong, we need people who care, but we don't set up the right environment.

Stahlmann

Re: Book: Hello Laziness: The Art & Importance of Doing the Least Possible at Work

Post by Stahlmann »

This semi old topic in terms of Gervais principle (there are older, but there are more replies).
Now, everybody is 5 year wiser (I hope :P).

So to people who answered here: Has your perspective changed during those 5 years?

Well, I want it to be so easy as described here :D
http://earlyretirementextreme.com/a-cur ... erism.html
Jacob mentions that he does not like selling, but in above article he did it pretty well (without ,,critical" remarks of ERE). Real sociopath :P