I need recommendations for board games

Move along, nothing to see here!
dalralmi

Re: I need recommendations for board games

Post by dalralmi »

FBeyer wrote:
dalralmi wrote:... and caylus....
How do you deal with AP in a two player game? My GF refuses to play this with me any more because I take forever to take my turns.
I'm assuming from my googling you mean analysis paralysis. Surprisingly with my husband we don't have a lot of problems with this in caylus. I tend to pick a strategy to start with and stick to it whole heartedly until they start blocking it. I also spend the majority of their turn planning and analysing my moves. Most of my AP comes in the last few turns.

Our problems in AP arrive in games like KINGS CRIBBAGE or Quirkle where my husband spends an eternity calculating what points he could be getting. cpuld just be our brains think through strategy fairly quickly from other childhood gaming like DnD and poker we just don't over analysis caylus. Might I recommend at your next gaming session to try the all money strategy... I've won many a games by taking the three and passing immediately over and over again.

@JennyPenny if you like quick travel games I'd recommend farkle over Yahtzee if you look for different things. I also keep quiddler or fluxx in my purse for quick gaming.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

We were with a large group on Christmas and really enjoyed playing jackbox games. Everyone loved Fibbage and Quiplash. We also liked Drawful and whatever the new one is where you kill everyone. I know it's not technically a board game, but it was fun and easy with a big group of people.

The only problem was that not everyone brought their phone charger, so we had to pass around phones at one point. Not a big deal.

saving-10-years

Post by saving-10-years »

In case you are collecting further options we like the Killer Bunnies (yellow + blue pack). Funny and quite a small deck to carry when traveling.

If you want a challenging game which is played using tech then Keep talking and Nobody explodes http://www.keeptalkinggame.com/ is good as you split into two teams and argue endlessly. One person needs to be online (describing the bomb) and while the other team can be online to see the manual they can also have this printed out and distribute the tasks. Not conventionally a board game but all the (good) argument potential and drama of one.

Riggerjack

Post by Riggerjack »

I must just be old, as I always thought the natural extension of Risk, was Axis and Allies, yet, no mention of it. If you are getting into weekend binges of Risk, Axis and Allies seems like a good fit for tweens and above.

I wish I had known about the 40k interest here. I just did a tenant turnover where I threw out boxes of fiber optic connection bits and pieces. Things that I looked at and thought "those old 40k guys would love these." Sorry, all gone now.

For the grown ups, I recommend Cards against Humanity and Exploding Kittens.

And a quick shout out for "cheap ass games", cheap, portable, quick. Usually pretty quick to pick up and good for a few games before someone figures out a way to throw the game balance off. Good for something to do when with nongamers, as they pick up the simple games easily, and they have fun storylines.

Scott 2

Post by Scott 2 »

I played exploding kittens for the first time on Christmas, it's good. Easy to learn, supports a little teaming up.

We also played beasts of balance, which is a fun update to Jenga. A little pricey though:

http://beastsofbalance.com/

inchicago

Post by inchicago »

Here are a few we have that I enjoy: Ticket to Ride, Spot It (quick fun card game), Colorku (which is like Sudoku but only with colored marbles and it gets more and more challenging), and Brain Box: U.S. States (I used this for international visitors and students and they loved it.) I have more but these are the ones I like the most.

Farm_or

Post by Farm_or »

We played "cash flow" for the first time yesterday. The game goes in two stages: 1) escaping the rat race 2) living in the fastlane

I thought it was fairly realistic for the first part. But the second part is outlandish apparently for the purpose of shortening the time of the game.

Still, a fun game and educational (especially for young ones).

We bought it from eBay and there were previous played score cards in the box. Found that interesting to see how other people played their life strategy. About half paid down their experiences while building assets. The other half didn't pay down any experiences...

Farm_or

Post by Farm_or »

Stupid autocorrect! Not experiences, expenses!

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

bumping for fiby41

FBeyer

Post by FBeyer »

Fiby41 requested video games, SOMEONE (ie me) just automatically assumed people mean board games when they just say 'games' and told him that there was an existing topic on board games... ahem.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

I assumed that too, but I'm old so I have an excuse. ;)

cmonkey

Post by cmonkey »

We played Bang last night with a small group of people and really enjoyed it. I ended up being the renegade and made it to the end in a 1 on 1 against the sheriff which is pretty good considering I was playing as a rookie against experts. It's good for strategic gamers, people on this board would love it.

On another note, don't ever play Quelf (I didn't, just watched).