Best bank to open a checking and savings?

Ask your investment, budget, and other money related questions here
TopHatFox

Best bank to open a checking and savings?

Post by TopHatFox »

There are many that offer hundreds of dollars to just make a checking and savings account. Pretty cool. I currently have a credit card with Capital One and a Checking + Savings with a local credit union in my old home town.

I'm thinking of switching the Checking + Savings to a national bank rather than a credit union, for the greater bank safety measures, geographical convenience, and generous initial sign-up bonuses. Chase has some good ones.

Thoughts?

slowtraveler

Re: Best bank to open a checking and savings?

Post by slowtraveler »

Chase has monthly fees unless you do auto direct deposit or X minimum balance.

Capital One360, Schwab, and Fidelity checking accounts are the free ones that I think work best.

slowtraveler

Post by slowtraveler »

To be honest, credit card bonuses have been better for me. The fine print clauses always end up deterring me from what I thought was a nice checking bonus offer.

You are still under 5 (new cards)/24 (months) so Chase Reserve, Preferred, and Ink would be my first cards if you plan on travelling. The points can be redeemed at a cent each for cash so that's over a thousand dollars (if redeemed for cash instead of travel) between the 3 cards. Paying taxes with cards meets min spend requirements.

GandK

Post by GandK »

Synchrony.

Chris

Post by Chris »

The current Chase banking offer isn't that appealing to me. For savings, after 90 days, you get a $200 bonus for depositing $15k. But you need to keep the money in for at least 6 months, or they deduct the bonus. For those 6 months, you have $15k of immovable money earning .01% interest.

The current CIT offer is more appealing. The bonus is lower, but they're currently paying 1.15% on deposits. So over 6 months you might actually want to keep your money there.

Since you already have a Capital One credit card, I would suggest looking at their 360 Savings and checking products. The bonus is small, but easy to achieve: $25 for a $250 deposit, available for both savings and checking (my referral link).

TopHatFox

Post by TopHatFox »

@Chris: Casual ;)

But I'm inclined to agree!

Gilberto de Piento

Post by Gilberto de Piento »

No offense, but could we not do the referral link thing here? It's really annoying at MMM because people respond to threads just to get their links spread everywhere.

classical_Liberal

Post by classical_Liberal »