ETFs in Ireland

Ask your investment, budget, and other money related questions here
bridgebetween

ETFs in Ireland

Post by bridgebetween »

Anyone else based in Ireland? ETF holders are taxed at 41% on gains or income from UCITS ETFs, which is most listed funds.
It makes it nearly impossible to use these products as part of ERE strategy.
I do not want to hold USD denominated ETFs.
Any ideas folks?

Did

Re: ETFs in Ireland

Post by Did »

I'm in Ireland. I don't know the answer to your question though.

Frosti85

Post by Frosti85 »

well maybe use a non ETF fund ? or is the law for all funds ?

if you buy & hold normal stocks, does the same rule apply (i guess yes) ? (if no, you could just emulate an index by buying the stocks directly)

vexed87

Post by vexed87 »

In the UK, it's currently possible to shelter your investment dividends and gains from higher rate taxes in ISA's for your first £20,000. There are also SIPPs, but I don't know as much about tax clauses because they are of less interest to me because of the mandatory minimum retirement age. Surely there is an Irish equivalent for tax sheltered savings?

bridgebetween

Post by bridgebetween »

Pension wraps exist, highly restrictive, not suitable for someone retiring early, 40ish.

vexed87

Post by vexed87 »

So no stocks and shares ISA equivalent? Alternative investment strategies might be in order then, e.g. letting property, purchasing a business. Another, slightly more extreme approach would be to seek British Citizenship and open an ISA here. :shock:

Seppia

Post by Seppia »

bridgebetween wrote:
Wed May 24, 2017 12:43 am
Anyone else based in Ireland? ETF holders are taxed at 41% on gains or income from UCITS ETFs, which is most listed funds.
Wow this is surprising! All the European ETFs are actually domiciled in Ireland SPECIFICALLY for tax reasons (see: vanguard, ishares), I thought Ireland was great tax wise across the board

Frugalitifree

Post by Frugalitifree »

Im in Ireland too. New to this game. I have managed to get myself to a decent savings rate. I would love to know more about investing as an Irish citizen. So much of the literature is US based and Im unsure of the tax implications here. If anyone had any advice on where to start I'd really appreciate it