Low growth, end of money and prioritising financial capital vs other forms

Ask your investment, budget, and other money related questions here
classical_Liberal

Re: Low growth, end of money and prioritising financial capital vs other forms

Post by classical_Liberal »

Last edited by classical_Liberal on Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

halfmoon wrote:I can choose to disregard the costs of choices I make as long as the choice is quantified. I regularly lecture my clients on this, which makes me roll my eyes at myself in real life. There's a difference between making a conscious choice and defaulting to baseless assumptions or "whatever".
I enjoy constructing models (schemes) to which I rarely actually adhere ;) I don't really think that Time vs. Money is a very useful dichotomy. "Life Energy", however woo-woo sounding, is more apt, although harder to quantify. Modern urban 6th graders use the word "lit" admiringly to describe somebody who is behaving as though they are in possession of a good deal of life energy. Of course, appearances can be deceiving. Humans can burn very hot with low resource reserve for a short time, but then they will burn-out. So, the trick is achieving the balance between conservation of resources and fire in the belly/fever in the brain/free, vibrant,vigorous expression of self-actualized creative purpose.

IOW, it's impossible to know what level of stock of any sort of capital you wish to attain or maintain, if you do not know the ultimate (or current) purpose or goal of your system. Survival? Freedom? Pleasure? World-domination? Love? Leisure?

Then, next challenge is figuring out how to quantify preferred qualities. Does SWR adequately ensure survival? Is "hugs/day" a valid measure of "love" flow? Also, when engaged in personal lifestyle system design, the maxim "Be careful what you wish for little girl, or you will surely get it." is highly applicable.

@classical_Liberal: I think "do both" is the answer to "hunker down" vs. "stay mobile." The questions have to do with ideal establishment and maintenance of range, domain and pattern or cycle of behaviors, and ability to scale up or down. For instance, cold weather is a minor cyclical problem that most living systems adapt to with either "hunker down" or "get mobile." If I establish a second camper-garden in rural South Carolina for the purposes of dealing with cyclical problem of cold weather, it will also afford me the option of a place to which I can scurry if I find that I must deal with other temporary acute problem such as food-riots in urban Michigan. The trick is finding solutions that balance current pleasure/yield with current maintenance costs while still increasing future options. Since propane heat is more expensive than yearly transport to South Carolina, and buying vacant land and derelict camper is cheapest shelter option, and it is easier to maintain health through exercise in January in South Carolina, the modular solution is Win/Win/Win.

I would also note that the formation or re-formation of some sort of monetary system generally takes place at very low level of population density or trade. All you need is 5 people who want to play poker, or 3 tinkers who make annual rounds, or two swains competing for access to the same bride, a 4 crop system and a community mill etc. etc. So, there is a need to better define what is meant by the failure of THE monetary system. I think it means something more like the end of cheap global transport of real goods. So, the solution is more local investment, but not necessarily rugged self-sufficiency.

halfmoon

Post by halfmoon »

7Wannabe5 wrote:
Sun May 21, 2017 11:42 am
IOW, it's impossible to know what level of stock of any sort of capital you wish to attain or maintain, if you do not know the ultimate (or current) purpose or goal of your system. Survival? Freedom? Pleasure? World-domination? Love? Leisure?
Yes.

Oh, wait...I have to choose? It's really annoying how you keep making people think. ;)