Semi-sophisticated Scam?

Ask your investment, budget, and other money related questions here
IlliniDave

Semi-sophisticated Scam?

Post by IlliniDave »

Yesterday while at work I got a text message from an odd number, 220-00, saying "Your Google verification code is [a six-digit number]". I assumed that someone had made an error providing a cell # for enhanced security somewhere (seems everyone wants one these days) because I don't have any sort of account with Google. Later that evening when I checked my personal email (an .aol account) I had a fishy looking email informing me that I had a message on Google from someone (a female first name that didn't ring any bells). I just labeled it spam and deleted it, but I've been wondering if it was just a coincidence or if the text and email were related. The list of entities out in the cyber world that have both my email address and cell # are pretty short. I am very reluctant to give out the number, and only one bank and Fidelity (manages my employers 401(k) and HSA) have both that I'm aware of. I have a magicJack number I give out most of the time.

Anyone heard of a scam going around like this? Seems like a natural evolution of scams given the evolution of enhanced security/verification web sites are using.

Riggerjack

Re: Semi-sophisticated Scam?

Post by Riggerjack »

I also don't give my number out. But no, I haven't heard of anything like that.

I might be tempted to go on a password purge, if it had happened to me.

An AOL email address... I don't know if there is protection by obscurity there, or if you have added yourself to a list of easily scammed elders who never moved on to better services.

Either way, avoiding a Google account seems worth while.

The Old Man

Post by The Old Man »

It is an evolution of a scam. Not that long ago I received a scam email which was followed up with a postal letter. I almost fell for it. I contacted my bank and they confirmed it was not legitimate. Additionally, one of my credit cards - which I barely use - was compromised. Scams are very sophisticated these days. I have been the victim of multiple data breaches. Account security seems to be crap.

I would contact your bank and Fidelity and ask to speak with their security group. It may be a scam in progress which affects them.

IlliniDave

Post by IlliniDave »

Riggerjack wrote:
Thu May 11, 2017 7:35 am
I also don't give my number out. But no, I haven't heard of anything like that.

I might be tempted to go on a password purge, if it had happened to me.

An AOL email address... I don't know if there is protection by obscurity there, or if you have added yourself to a list of easily scammed elders who never moved on to better services.

Either way, avoiding a Google account seems worth while.
Hah, well I did finally move on from AOL as a provider a good number of years ago, once DSL hit the 'hood, but by that time I'd had the email address for quite a few years as well so I keep using it for all my correspondence. I have one from my provider but I have never even checked it and never give it out. I also have a bogus email addr on yahoo I use much like my MagicJack phone number, when you have to provide someone an email that you don't want to correspond with and don't want spamming you forever.

I keep my passwords fresh and very strong for anything that matters. But that's probably a good idea to go do it again.

ThisDinosaur

Post by ThisDinosaur »

I change my passwords every time I stumble across an article about hacking or cybersecurity. Keeps them fresh. Sounds like you handled a standard phishing attempt correctly.

Chris

Post by Chris »

IlliniDave wrote:
Thu May 11, 2017 6:59 am
Yesterday while at work I got a text message from an odd number, 220-00, saying "Your Google verification code is [a six-digit number]".
Yup, I got one of those last week.