SimpleLife investing strategy?

Ask your investment, budget, and other money related questions here
banker22

SimpleLife investing strategy?

Post by banker22 »

SimpleLife

I've seen that you are heavily invested in real estate as a means to FIRE, and hoped to learn more about your strategy. How many houses to do you own? Where? What do the numbers look like? Can you recommend any other resources? Any experience with turnkey companies? How did GFC affect you?

Thanks

fiby41

Re: SimpleLife investing strategy?

Post by fiby41 »

I think SimpleLife is no longer active. Maybe they're in Spectator Mode, but other usernames I miss but no more see around are Noided, Kriegelspeil, Bigato.

SustainableHappiness

Re: SimpleLife investing strategy?

Post by SustainableHappiness »

I might be able to give a little insight into RE as an investment strategy. However my exposure is limited to southwestern Ontario in Canada, so if you're American it may be slightly irrelevant. I currently own two duplexes with experience in severing properties and rezoning. Fun fact, I am currently renting because I think RE prices are not conducive to buying more property.

From two duplexes purchased ~30-40% under market value due to regulatory and aesthetic hurdles to overcome to unlock full value (and most investors not looking for that kind of pain) the cash flow is 4k revenue with 1.5k expenses (two units pay for their own utilities). All additional cash goes to income tax at the end of the year and paying down mtg (no plans to purchase more). This is with a 75k initial investment for 25% down (mandatory to avoid cmhc taxes in canada on triplex or greater) and legal fees. No initial land transfer tax required as it was our first buy (another canadianism).

You can read my journal for some shitty things that have happened and why dw and I plan on exiting the RE game in the near future (1-2 years). Estimated return after taxes for 2.5 years of effort is ~50k in rental income, and if all goes well an additional 40k in capital gains. If it goes really well, 60-70k in capital gains.

Oh also, as soon as you involve the city in this shit or have to sever slash rezone property, knock 10k or more off of whatever you think you'll profit.