Ask your investment, budget, and other money related questions here
George the original one

Re: Unexpected expenses every year

Post by George the original one »

Families can unexpectedly increase if, for instance, your sibling & their spouse is killed in a car accident leaving you to care for their 3 kids.

radamfi

Post by radamfi »

George the original one wrote:Families can unexpectedly increase if, for instance, your sibling & their spouse is killed in a car accident leaving you to care for their 3 kids.
So if you have kids, does that mean you have to agree with your relatives that they will look after the kids in such an event? That doesn't seem right to me. Many people, like me, deliberately chose not to have children, not only on financial grounds but also for ethical reasons. Perhaps potential parents should think twice before they procreate to avoid putting their relatives in such a position.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

@radamfi - That's what godparents are for. Usually such agreements are made in advance (shortly after birth). If asked, you can say no.

This is a bigger concern: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filial_re ... ility_laws

But it all depends on culture. In most Asian cultures the expectation that children take care of their parents is extremely ingrained.

radamfi

Post by radamfi »

jacob wrote:This is a bigger concern: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filial_re ... ility_laws

But it all depends on culture. In most Asian cultures the expectation that children take care of their parents is extremely ingrained.
Yes, I don't agree with that at all. You don't owe your parents anything. It was their decision to have children. You didn't ask to be born.

theanimal

Post by theanimal »

Well, I read this article today that was relevant:http://www.wsj.com/articles/the-childre ... 1481816178

If any of you have read Hillbilly Elegy, it's the same story. Many grandparents and other family members are finding themselves taking care of children after they leave destructive homes.

BeyondtheWrap

Post by BeyondtheWrap »

I would guess that the "web of goals" solution to unexpected expenses is to have unexpected income. Both Jacob and MMM found that they continued to have income from different sources after they retired that exceeded their expenses, so unexpected expenses were never a problem for the retirement budget, which would explain why we normally don't see unexpected expenses mentioned along with other expenses.

steveo73

Post by steveo73 »

theanimal wrote:Well, I read this article today that was relevant:http://www.wsj.com/articles/the-childre ... 1481816178

If any of you have read Hillbilly Elegy, it's the same story. Many grandparents and other family members are finding themselves taking care of children after they leave destructive homes.
My parents are over 70. There is an older couple near them that are doing this exactly. I don't think it is widespread but geez I hope this doesn't happen to me for my children, grandchildren and our sake.

steveo73

Post by steveo73 »

BeyondtheWrap wrote:I would guess that the "web of goals" solution to unexpected expenses is to have unexpected income. Both Jacob and MMM found that they continued to have income from different sources after they retired that exceeded their expenses, so unexpected expenses were never a problem for the retirement budget, which would explain why we normally don't see unexpected expenses mentioned along with other expenses.
That is if we all get this. I'm lazy and this may never occur for me.