Trump is president...how can we make money?

Intended for constructive conversations. Exhibits of polarizing tribalism will be deleted.
Dragline

Re: Trump is president...how can we make money?

Post by Dragline »

If this accurately reflects the data and actions of individual investors, it would suggest that we are nearing a top in the stock market sometime in the next year or so:

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/trump- ... 2017-03-06

Chad

Post by Chad »

Yeah, probably about a year or so, right after healthcare reform, tax reform, or infrastructure spending plans disappoint. One of those will definitely fall short of the current overly optimistic view.

Retail investors appear to be jumping in now. The Today show had a segment with a nice market topping title: "Cashing in on a Hot Stock Market"

https://twitter.com/awealthofcs/status/ ... 4875529216

Not a good sign. Next bearish indicator will be a bullish cover of a national non-financial magazine like Time.

I'm being very selective in individual stocks in the US market and using the strong dollar to buy foreign stocks right now, but I haven't sold much of my US holdings, yet.

Dragline

Post by Dragline »

Yup, we're getting there. Here's Mike Tyson shilling for a broker:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bO1Kw4q-EcI

Chad

Post by Chad »

That is probably aimed at retail investors, as no one is hiring Tyson to convince professionals to use their brokerage.

cmonkey

Post by cmonkey »

Instead of the trump trade, now we have the o'reilly trade.

ThisDinosaur

Post by ThisDinosaur »

Considering? Yes. I've also been planning on buying some EWY (south korea etf), but it has jumped up in price recently. Maybe because other "contrarians" are betting this will blow over.

Dragline

Post by Dragline »

Have some. Will buy a little more if it goes down, but will start selling if it spikes upward.

IlliniDave

Post by IlliniDave »

No meaningful consideration here. Being 765 days or less from yanking the yellow-and-black handle I am starting to mull over options for positioning myself a little more defensively in the future, and thoughts of PP-style strategies come up on occasion (although that sort of move is still quite unlikely for me). I don't think I'd ever buy gold based on news headlines, even when they involve DT and the loose cannon in N Korea.