Advantages to having high net worth, aside from spending it

Ask your investment, budget, and other money related questions here
Gilberto de Piento

Re: Advantages to having high net worth, aside from spending it

Post by Gilberto de Piento »

That sucks. People suck sometimes with money.

I had a conversation recently about the IRS and accidentally told someone that I was worried once about the IRS because I put too much in my tax free. Nothing will come of it but I wish I wouldn't have mentioned it. I'd prefer no one know.

Lucky C

Post by Lucky C »

Having high net worth can definitely have some social disadvantages. On the other hand, some people really like keeping secrets so having stealth wealth would be fun for them maybe? Also, if you want to create a new mysterious persona and inflict revenge on your enemies, a la The Count of Monte Cristo, more wealth certainly makes that easier!

Scott 2

Post by Scott 2 »

Working on my terms has been one of the best parts. Aggressively pushing tasks I don't want away, with no real concern over making myself replaceable. Comfortably saying no to overtime, unreasonable deadlines and management work.

Already liking what I do, this freedom makes work pretty fun - a low stress way to hang out with people I enjoy and play with computers. Since they actually need/want the money, I have confidence they'll show up and play along. In my experience, outside that motivation, people tend to be rather transient.

Noedig

Post by Noedig »

I'm with Plato (or his mouthpiece Cephalus in The Republic) that having riches allows you to not have to stoop in your standards, or be unjust, because of poverty. It frees you from this and other evils.

fiby41

Post by fiby41 »

Noedig wrote:I'm with Plato (or his mouthpiece Cephalus in The Republic) that having riches allows you to not have to stoop in your standards, or be unjust, because of poverty. It frees you from this and other evils.
But it is also in The Republic that Plato says justice is the interest of the stronger.

How do you do away with the cognitive dissonance of caused by assuming both statements to be true?

MoreTimeToRide

Post by MoreTimeToRide »

Sclass wrote:
jacob wrote: "When anyone asks about how you were able to RE, you can just say you're a millionaire."

I've actually tried this. I am not sure what was worse. Being questioned, or being called a liar in varied levels of politeness.

By my friends. :(

I lost a lot of friends.
I have specifically avoided any talk of how much money we have and I would certainly never just use the word "millionaire.' My fear is not being called a liar but having them believe me.

Once your friends and family know you are "rich," I suspect every situation involving money gets looked at differently. Why don't you want to go to that swanky restaurant? You can afford it. You won't go in on the Hawaiian vacation for Mom and Dad? Why not, you're loaded!

It is my experience that people that have no trouble spending their money have even less trouble spending yours.

fiby41

Post by fiby41 »

This links to the why should I have children thread.

When you have high net worth, people are good to you.

A workaround to having many children is to have a high net worth but it is comparatively difficult than the former.

This way your offspring will take care of you in old age if it knows that it is the only way to inherit it. Or else you'll give it away to your fav charity/cause after death.

BeyondtheWrap

Post by BeyondtheWrap »

Assuming constant expenses, the higher your net worth is, you can tolerate a smaller percentage return on your investments. So if you're into socially conscious investing (which seems to have a lower return than the total market), it would be easier to invest your conscience if you have a high net worth.

TopHatFox

Post by TopHatFox »

A higher networth can also be more socially acceptable. For instance, 1-2 M is usually thrown around by run of the mill financial planners as the magic number to be financially independent. No questions asked by professionals on how you survive on a "small" portfolio of 500K. Also, if you meet someone (most westerners?) that's use to a 30-40k/yr lifestyle, you can say you can afford that too if you wanted to, but choose not to.

Yay.

TopHatFox

Post by TopHatFox »

A higher networth can also be particularly useful if one is struck with ludicrous medical bills after, say, a tumble off a mountain or a life-threatening, long-term disease like cancer. Maybe insurance can defray these costs, but I'm not so sure anymore.

fiby41

Post by fiby41 »

Olaz wrote:A higher networth can also be particularly useful if one is struck with ludicrous medical bills after, say, a tumble off a mountain or a life-threatening, long-term disease like cancer. Maybe insurance can defray these costs, but I'm not so sure anymore.
Or a higher net-worth means you can afford to pay higher insurance premiums. Which in turn means you can afford higher medical cost coverage.
Which means you could in effect end up spending less than the amount a mid to low net-worth person would have to pay out-of-pocket.

This reminds me of the shoe theory post on the blog which explains the mechanism of how the rich get richer...

TopHatFox

Post by TopHatFox »

How would you all quantify a "high net worth" anyway? IOW, what is considered a "high net worth"?

OTCW

Post by OTCW »

Olaz wrote:How would you all quantify a "high net worth" anyway? IOW, what is considered a "high net worth"?
My metric is a paid for house and possessions that account for less than 10% of the total net worth. 80% invested in whatever combination/strategy that produces one's living expenses at a SWR of 3.5%. The remainder (~10%) in cash. This is with additional income (job, business, etc) that does or can readily be ramped up to meet one's expenses. Without such, I'd lower the SWR to 2.5%.

I'm conservative, but also, this is my definition of "high net worth".