Brexit

Ask your investment, budget, and other money related questions here
radamfi

Re: Brexit

Post by radamfi »

Sarouel wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:21 am
I do feel sorry for you, but hey, you don't have to stay there. You can always leave. What about migrating to the Netherlands?
As explained earlier, leaving now is not practical.

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE »

or, as other humans have called it, progress.

Sarouel

Post by Sarouel »

But death is practical?

ducknalddon

Post by ducknalddon »

It's certainly the frugal option.

Zeran

Post by Zeran »

Does this change affect you if you are already in the UK? I'm asking because my partner is also not a UK citizen.

radamfi

Post by radamfi »

Zeran wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:27 am
Does this change affect you if you are already in the UK? I'm asking because my partner is also not a UK citizen.
The problem is that still I'm in the UK! All the attention in the press and from politicians has been on EU citizens currently living in the UK, and UK citizens currently living in the rest of the EU. Surely they will be allowed to stay where they are. But what about those of us who intend to work or retire outside the UK in the future? What have we done wrong? Why should we be punished?

Jean

Post by Jean »

You're are not being punished, you are revoked a privilege because it's counterparts were deemed to expensives.

radamfi

Post by radamfi »

EU citizens in the UK will probably be allowed to stay in the UK but if they want to go somewhere in the EU they can. UK citizens in the EU will probably be allowed to stay in the country they are in and acquire the citizenship of that EU country. Then they can go wherever in the EU they want. EU citizens who are blocked from the UK in future at least have the rest of the EU to go to.

British citizens currently in the UK are the biggest losers here. We are imprisoned on a collection of small islands.

Jean

Post by Jean »

ja ja. But as an UK citizen, it is much easier to emmigrates to most commonwealth countries, and, it's not getting impossible to move to the EU. just a little bit harder (you need a job offer before moving).

radamfi

Post by radamfi »

Jean wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:16 am
(you need a job offer before moving).
That's not much help if you want to retire.

I also don't think British people have much advantage over, say, French or Dutch citzens if they want to go to Australia or Canada.

Seppia

Post by Seppia »

There are many beautiful countries where all you need to get a residence permit is money.
Panama comes to mind. If I remember correctly with 70 or 80k usd investment in reforestation (you basically buy land) is all you need to live there.

radamfi

Post by radamfi »

Seppia wrote:
Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:57 am
There are many beautiful countries where all you need to get a residence permit is money.
Panama comes to mind. If I remember correctly with 70 or 80k usd investment in reforestation (you basically buy land) is all you need to live there.
The Netherlands has a similar policy but you need 1.25 million euros. There's no way I'm going to get that kind of money. My fellow countrymen couldn't care less about me and don't care if I kill myself.

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE »

then again, why would any humans move to the Netherlands? Switzerland has better cheese and chocolate, Denmark has better windmills, and with Crocs now available, those wooden sandals aren't all that big of a USP any more. plus, the waffles are overrated.

also, as a card-carrying nihilist, brute is morally obligated to encourage suicide. further mentioning of the topic will be met appropriately.

ducknalddon

Post by ducknalddon »

BRUTE wrote:
Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:42 pm
then again, why would any humans move to the Netherlands?
Because they live in Britain :D

radamfi

Post by radamfi »

BRUTE wrote:
Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:42 pm
then again, why would any humans move to the Netherlands? Switzerland has better cheese and chocolate, Denmark has better windmills, and with Crocs now available, those wooden sandals aren't all that big of a USP any more. plus, the waffles are overrated.
The Netherlands has by far the best cycling in the world. That's why David Hembrow and his family left Cambridge and moved to Assen about 10 years ago.

http://www.aviewfromthecyclepath.com/

Also, it has excellent public transport, probably only bettered by Switzerland.

Jean

Post by Jean »

You can relocate freely to any commonwealth country. It's not the case for any one else. Also, you seem very entitled to your right to move freely in europe, your fellow citizen dont want people to move that freely into britain because they perceive it to have bad consequences on their lives. They have this right, and if other countries dont think that you retiring there would be good for them, they have this right too.

ducknalddon

Post by ducknalddon »

Jean wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:05 pm
You can relocate freely to any commonwealth country.
I don't think that is the case, if I wanted to move to New Zealand or Australia I would need to go through their immigration system. It isn't the same as free movement in the EU.

chenda

Post by chenda »

@radamfi - look into this for a partial solution

http://www.wired.co.uk/article/estonia-e-resident

radamfi

Post by radamfi »

Jean wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:05 pm
You can relocate freely to any commonwealth country. It's not the case for any one else. Also, you seem very entitled to your right to move freely in europe, your fellow citizen dont want people to move that freely into britain because they perceive it to have bad consequences on their lives. They have this right, and if other countries dont think that you retiring there would be good for them, they have this right too.
See this for the explanation of the end of free movement between Britain and the Commonwealth.

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/st ... rm-britain

It would have been more acceptable if there was no free movement to start with, at least then I could plan my life as a young person. However, I've led my whole life with the understanding that there would be free movement for life, so to take that away from me when I'm in my middle age when it is much harder to make life-changing decisions is extremely cruel.

radamfi

Post by radamfi »

chenda wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:56 pm
@radamfi - look into this for a partial solution

http://www.wired.co.uk/article/estonia-e-resident
I don't see how this can benefit me. It doesn't even allow you to live in Estonia, never mind the rest of the EU.