What is money and where does it reside?

Ask your investment, budget, and other money related questions here
7Wannabe5

Re: What is money and where does it reside?

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

I wonder if the opposite rule of thumb would also apply? IOW, if an individual were able to create and maintain approximately 250 social relationships complex enough to be inclusive of barter/sharing/lending level of trust, then that individual would have no need to use money? Obviously, a complete hermit living alone with nature would also have no need of money, but a relatively high need for skills. So, maybe, a total combination of approximately 250 skill sets towards self-sufficiency AND social connections inclusive of trust would generally serve?

Of course, only one social connection is needed if the model allows that person to procure goods/services with money. For instance, I take my boots to a friend who has cobber-skills and he fixes them and I give him a bushel of apples I grew vs. I go to the mall with my BF and he buys me new boots.

Dragline

Post by Dragline »

I'm under the impression that barter economies, to the extent the exist, do not exist for very long unless the community is relatively small and even then are relatively limited. A form of money -- cigarettes, salt, shells -- soon emerges. Some of the oldest writings are in fact records of storage of grain and other commodities, along with records of debts owed, which leads you to the creation of money.

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

Right. Money is a fairly primitive human tool and the market is a fairly primitive human pattern formation. Also, since humans are omnivorous, scavenging, out-breeders, trade (and raiding) conducted over a much greater distance than outer bounds of village nucleus is also very primitive pattern.

So, the maximum utility of money usage would likely occur somewhere in the intersection of resilience, robustness, efficiency and anti-fragility. Trade at a distance through chain of strangers for goods not available locally would be obvious pattern (long loop in system of individual) in which money would provide high utility. There is a level on which information somehow serves the same purpose as trusted-social-connection or skill. For instance, I feel a little bit different about purchasing the "gourmet", retail-outlet-brand-packaged cookies I like from my corner drugstore, now that I have a pretty good inkling about the near fields of wheat location of the Canadian bakery where they are produced.

At the margin, or upon the tangent, or for the moment, any individual could declare themselves financially independent (vagabond version)if they had no ongoing contracts with others that required fulfillment with funds. So, another thing I wonder about is whether there is an essential head tax.