Russian Opportunities

Ask your investment, budget, and other money related questions here
BennKar

Re: Russian Opportunities

Post by BennKar »

Thanks for the info guys. Looks like they couldn't come to a meeting of the minds with China today. Still, probably worth holding on to.

IlliniDave

Post by IlliniDave »

It doesn't fit with my current strategy, but when most people are running for the hills is the time a courageous person can make a lot of money. But it's risky. I've been buying EM funds aggressively for the last year, so am getting some Russian exposure, but not anything targeted.

Chad

Post by Chad »

IlliniDave wrote:It doesn't fit with my current strategy, but when most people are running for the hills is the time a courageous person can make a lot of money. But it's risky. I've been buying EM funds aggressively for the last year, so am getting some Russian exposure, but not anything targeted.
I couldn't agree more. One of Buffett's favorite, "Be greedy when others are fearful and fearful when others are greedy." Or, the more colorful, "Buy when there is blood in the streets." All easy to say, but hard to do. Not pulling the trigger on BP after the Gulf spill still makes me mad at myself. It was so obvious, but my fear still beat me.

BennKar

Post by BennKar »

BennKar wrote:Thanks for the info guys. Looks like they couldn't come to a meeting of the minds with China today. Still, probably worth holding on to.
Looks like I spoke too soon. They're reporting today they came to a 30 year agreement with China. Sounds good to me.

workathome

Post by workathome »

I bought into ERUS before the Ukraine fiasco and my investment has fully recovered.

workathome

Post by workathome »

Well, this is proving much more interesting than I imagined.

elegant

Post by elegant »

this is scary. an economically devastated russian bear is an unstable one.

workathome

Post by workathome »

Fear = opportunity

Unfortunately, it looks like I should have waited longer to jump in... could pull out the ol' Rothschild quote, but perhaps a little too literal in this case.

Chad

Post by Chad »

Now there are really opportunities in the Russian market and it will probably get worse. Last night's massive interest rate hike by the Bank of Russia will destroy markets today. I sold my OGZPY over the summer and have been waiting for an entry point into it or some other Russian investment. This will probably get it a little closer. The risk is high given Putin's 1700's-1800's leadership style. Any money I put to work in Russia over the next few months will not be an investment, but a gamble.

tylerrr

Post by tylerrr »

if oil ever bottoms/stabilizes, i'm gonna look to get a position in RUSL.

tylerrr

Post by tylerrr »

good question...i'm wondering the same. I want to play RUSL at some point.