$578 million dollar high school

Ask your investment, budget, and other money related questions here
jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

Broke—and Building the Most Expensive School in U.S. History
I thought you'd all appreciate this one. Someone sure got their educational priorities in order laying off teachers while building marble floors and talking benches.
(A $50,000 talking bench reeks of $800 toilet seats.)
I suppose they have to raise tax rates to support all this. Run away!

Jon

Post by Jon »

California having little money left I wonder how much the maintenance bill will be? How much money does it take to keep the school from looking decrepit?
I understand environment can affect a students engagement with a subject, but I've never heard of people studying at Harvard because the architecture is aesthetically conducive to thought. They should just put iron bars on the windows already. A marble prison is still a prison.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

Buildings tend to be designed according to the purpose they fulfill. I note that many schools have come to look a bit like minimum security prisons.

csdx

Post by csdx »

Man that beats the Newton high school in MA that just opened, it was only 190 million. Then again Newton is the expensive section here, so I'm betting they're more likely to be able to pay for it, what with property taxes from multi-million dollar homes.

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

You should see the prison in my town. It looks like one of the fanciest company buildings in the city...just below the new medical ones. It is one of those jobs that make it look like it has windows. Schools look more like prisons than this place.
Spending on attractive prisons and this school pisses me off! Just think how many people it takes to cover this crap with tax dollars. Not to mention the people to run them. How hilarious to lay off a bunch of teachers in an attempt to pay for the vanity.