SWR milestone record

Ask your investment, budget, and other money related questions here
steveo73

Re: SWR milestone record

Post by steveo73 »

2015 - 21.5%

Hopefully I remember to update this as we get close to 4%.

Egg

Post by Egg »

~23.5%

Not sure that really counts as an "SWR", mind, as I'm pretty sure only the extremely foolish would feel confident getting the ~25% returns required to sustain that one...!

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

2015 -- 1%

IlliniDave

Post by IlliniDave »

jacob wrote:2015 -- 1%
Impressive! I've yet to crack 4%, 4.3%-4.4% the last couple months. Probably a year and a half out before I hit 3% consistently.

Scrubby

Post by Scrubby »

When you give percentages for SWR, do you mean the chance that the portfolio with fail after a certain number of years, or the percentage of the portfolio that you spend in a given year? If it's the later, wouldn't it be more correct to call it just WR?

Gilberto de Piento

Post by Gilberto de Piento »

When you give percentages for SWR, do you mean the chance that the portfolio with fail after a certain number of years, or the percentage of the portfolio that you spend in a given year?
The percentage of the portfolio that you spend in a given year.

The formula is:
Average monthly expenses * 12 / Financial independence assets = SWR
If it's the later, wouldn't it be more correct to call it just WR?
Yes, but everyone knows what you mean if you say SWR.

C40

Post by C40 »

Jacob, you're going to confuse the hell out of people if they eventually learn that the ERE guy is a millionaire.

chicago81

Post by chicago81 »

More-so if they accuse you of earning that million dollars by selling your book ;)

cmonkey

Post by cmonkey »

Or going back to work :lol: Congrats, that's a great achievement.

penny

Post by penny »

Egg wrote:~23.5%

Not sure that really counts as an "SWR", mind, as I'm pretty sure only the extremely foolish would feel confident getting the ~25% returns required to sustain that one...!
As someone new to ERE, I am finding this tricky. Perhaps I've misunderstood, but isn't SWR the percentage you can safely draw down each year without jeopardising financial independence?

Egg

Post by Egg »

penny wrote:As someone new to ERE, I am finding this tricky. Perhaps I've misunderstood, but isn't SWR the percentage you can safely draw down each year without jeopardising financial independence?
In theory. But then a totally safe withdrawal rate (other than a histoical one) is a myth anyway, so although 4% is more realistic than 23.5% for sustainability, neither are necessarily SWRs as such. To allow numbers like mine, I guess you'd have to extend the definitition to something along the lines of "the returns you'd need to cover your withdrawals".

P.S. Update: My "SWR" is now 12%

penny

Post by penny »

Thanks for your reply egg. How do you arrive at 23.5% and 12%? Are these figures actual draw down or returns made in a given year? Like I said, this is new to me so any insight is appreciated.

steveo73

Post by steveo73 »

penny wrote:Thanks for your reply egg. How do you arrive at 23.5% and 12%? Are these figures actual draw down or returns made in a given year? Like I said, this is new to me so any insight is appreciated.
Expenses/Assets * 100.

I personally look at my expenses over the course of a year. One area where I think you could trick yourself is to underestimate your expenses. So you could be really cheap for a week and use your current weeks expenses * 52 / total assets and give yourself a false picture. You could also not take into account future expenses such as health care.

penny

Post by penny »

steveo73 wrote:
penny wrote:Thanks for your reply egg. How do you arrive at 23.5% and 12%? Are these figures actual draw down or returns made in a given year? Like I said, this is new to me so any insight is appreciated.
Expenses/Assets * 100.

I personally look at my expenses over the course of a year. One area where I think you could trick yourself is to underestimate your expenses. So you could be really cheap for a week and use your current weeks expenses * 52 / total assets and give yourself a false picture. You could also not take into account future expenses such as health care.
Thanks steveo73

Hankaroundtheworld

Post by Hankaroundtheworld »

Depending on how I estimate living costs per year, the new 2015 figures (this is for a couple):
* Basic living cost (good life, but not much travel budget) => SWR = 1.4%
* Very comfortable (good life, but more travel budget or more health coverage when older ) => SWR = 2.4%
* Easy living (enough buffer to allow flexible way of living) => SWR = 4.2%

steveo73

Post by steveo73 »

I'm below 15% now. That feels significant to me. I think the next point will be 10% or less.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

@steveo73--Is that based on your current spending level, or a post-kid retirement budget? I'm just curious how people are calculating their number.

steveo73

Post by steveo73 »

jennypenny wrote:@steveo73--Is that based on your current spending level, or a post-kid retirement budget? I'm just curious how people are calculating their number.
Current spending level. I assume my spending could drop in retirement but its not that clear cut because I will still be supporting kids.

DutchGirl

Post by DutchGirl »

@Henk: very, very nice. Now the market goes up and down, so your exact numbers will change a bit from time to time, but it looks like you've got this one covered :-)

@steveo, looking back to March it was 21.5%, so yes, that's an impressive change. Nice, keep it up!

niemand

Post by niemand »

2014 -- 9%
2015 -- 7%